Akumal area Dive Op recomendations??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent 7 days in Akumal. Got home Nov 8.

I dove with Akumal Dive Center. I stopped by Akumal Dive Shop first, but was not favorably impressed with the reception or the answers I got to my questions. I am newly certified and have had no dives beyond certification.

I went to Akumal Dive Center and was warmly welcomed. Everything was explained very well. I booked a dive for that afternoon. The divemaster was great and taught me many things. I wound up diving everyday of my stay except the last day so I could fly home.

Great operation - at least I was impressed with the personal service and attention to details. For example - the boat captain carried my BC up to the shop after the dive. He would disconnect the regulator, dry the port with air from the cylinder, install the plastic plug and then rinse the regulator. I dove with the same captain and divemaster all week, received great service and I rewarded them at the end of the week.

I will be going back next year.

I went with Akumal Dive Center for 3 dives in May/June 08. They were great! The carry all the women's tanks and are helpful. They are cheapest of all dive shops and will discount the dives if you do multiple dives. The more the dives, the bigger the discount.

December 08 I will be diving with Dive Adventuras in Half Moon Bay

Whereever you end up, Enjoy!

P.S. <winks to ScubaWife>

Woops... edit

I'd give my vote for Akumal Dive Center. We had our own DMs but we asked the captain to put us at a certain depth and he hit that depth perfect every time. They were personable, helpful on and off the boats, etc.

My wife and I dove with Akumal Dive Center in February of this year. They did a good job. Nice laid back group of people. They are a no frills operation, which was fine for us. You are responsible for your own gear and tanks. Short boat rides to the reef with surface intervals on shore. Expect a mixed skill level of divers.

We also dove a couple of the cenotes. An absolute must. But you need good bouyancey skills. The reef in the area is in bad shape. A lot of bleached out coral and not many mature fish. Try out the ocean diving. If you are not impressed, sign up for some cenote dives.

Have fun.

PH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom