Akr?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merfman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, we're headed to Anthonys Key Resort next month. I've been perusing the forum for any/all Roatan based info. One thing has
sparked my curiosity tho, there's a noticeable LACK of questions about AKR and rarely even any mention of the resort, at least
based on the last month or so of monitoring...

Is there a reason for this? Is the resort still there? Everyone know all there is to know about AKR? So bad it's just known
or vice versa?

I'm not looking for any specific information, I'll get that soon enough. I'm just curious...

I have not heard anything bad about AKR but I have not stayed there for many years so cannot comment about how it is now.....but it is still there......my friends say it has nice dolphin encounter to see and swim w/dolphins... have a great trip and write a trip report when you return :D

The almost total lack of information and reportage of AKR on SCUBABoard has always puzzled me, as well.

They have shifted their business model away from "dive groups" (clubs) to individuals and a very heavy reliance on Cruise Ship Divers, both are immensely more profitable. At the same time, they upgraded their rooms situated offshore "on the key" and also added a pool. This has been part of a push to market differentiate by raising weekly rates to what was an extreme. The place stayed empty for quite some time, maybe 18 months, before they realized that maybe this wasn't the perfect plan.

The lowered the rates again for week-long guests and kept on the effort for the day visitor- the Dolphin Show is a huge draw, and guests show up in droves, not only from cruise ships but as day visitors from other island resorts. Everybody wants to swim with Flipper.

AKR has always had a good and consistent product that offered diving, meals and lodging that satisfied many, many visitors over the years~ and they still do!

Upsides to AKR: Consistency; Nearby West End if you want Bars/Restaurants; the best Dive-Op (boats esp.) infrastructure if you want to dive the North Side; if the North side gets weathered-out (common Sept thru Feb), they have the equipment and money to take you to the South side; restaurant order off a menu; the lagoon offers the best muck dive on Roatan, but not for the squeamish; AKR is located within the Marine Reserve, you will see increased populations of common Caribbean larger fish and crustaceans; DMs are well trained.

Downsides to AKR: Better rooms are on a separate cay, necessitating a quick shuttle boat quite ride constantly; it lies in the shadow of Roatan's prevailing wind and is in a heavily wooded zone: bug city; the advertised shore dive is marginal; North side diving is darker and deeper than South side; there are 60 some steps up/down to the restaurant; DMs are not known for being Naturalist guides.

Rarely does anyone complain about AKR, here or anywhere, at least not those who seem to have a grasp on dive travel and what to really expect. It gets consistent positive comments from visitors.

Trip Advisor seems to me to be populated by people who go on vacation to do some diving. Search results: anthony key resorts roatan - TripAdvisor As you wade through the reports, see many from day visitors (cruise ship divers/dolphin snorkelers). The others from actual week-long SCUBA visitors are worth a read, but generally confirm my theory of being from casual divers on vacation~ so temper their reports accordingly.

There is no reason why you won't come away from AKR grinning from ear to ear.

I have stayed at AKR. While the stairs from the dock up to the eatery are not fun, the rest of the experience more than makes up for it. The rooms that were mentioned in earlier posts are labeled Key Superior. I think it is worth the extra you would pay for one.

The cruise ship divers are kept separated from the guests. We had a great DM who did in fact try to point out critters. If you asked the DM to see something in particular he always seemed to be able to find and point it out to you. As for the bugs mentioned, I don't know if it was the time of year or just luck. We did not have any problems with bugs. The staff kept the sand raked and I know they spray, just not when everybody is around to see it. The dive shop ran like a well oiled machine while we were there. Very professional, very friendly and safety oriented. Keep in mind that if the norther comes blowing through, AKR sends their boats to the south side ahead of the storm and you will generally still get your 3 dives in for the day. We did not do the shore dive but I know it was available. Never heard anybody say anything good or bad about the shore dive. It is a short boat ride for some really great dive sites. AKR took us to the south side for some dive sites too. The picture attached is looking from the main building out towards the key.

Good luck, I know you will enjoy your trip, we did.

PICT0380.jpg

Attachments

• PICT0380.gif
    PICT0380.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 365
Thanks all! I'm glad I'm not the only one puzzled by the lack of comments. Part of the group we're traveling with will be on their 5th trip to AKR so I'm not overly concerned. We're really looking
forward to a new experience!

RoatanMan - one comment you made makes me even more curious: "best muck dive on Roatan, but not for the squeamish"... is there a story in there somewhere? :)

We're planning on both the Dolphin dive and theShark dive as well, glad to hear at least one of those got a positive endorsement!

If there's a nugget here, it's the shift towards cruisers... thanks!

Thanks a ton for all the info! Looking forward to the trip!

I was there in August and had a great time. I have no complaints. Though watch out for the noseeums.. I came home with well over 100 bites and yes I used bug spray. We had a superior key room and I would not stay in any other; AC is a must for me.

Have Fun!

We've stayed at AKR the last two years and have really enjoyed it. My wife is a nondiver and the snorkel boat they offer fits our needs perfectly. The muck dive is the dive at the entrance between the two keys, vis tends to be poor, atleast during the rainy season as the weather comes from the north and stirs things up. They offer another shore dive area off the back of the key where they keep tanks and have a rope down to about 35' so it makes for an easy night dive. The entrance is shallow so you have to watch your step as you go out. The food is, in my opinion, very good. They offer a couple of options for the main course and I can't say I had anything that I didn't like. For breakfast you can eat light off a buffet table with fruits and muffins, etc. or order off a menu for a complete breakfast. The Bar is nice and the drinks are very reasonable with a 2 for 1 at either the pool bar or upper bar most every night of the week. We have stayed in both the key standard and the key superior and wouldn't hesitate to stay in either one again. The stairs up to the restaurant/office are no big deal unless you have issues getting around normally.
The dive operation is very good and the boats are some of the better on the island. They will do a couple of dives on the south side, but if the weather is good most of the time is spent on the north side dive sites. Short boat rides are the norm and the north side offers a good variety. You will appreciate the south side and the different types of dives/critters it offers as well. Well I've rambled enough, if you have specific questions feel free to ask.

RoatanMan - one comment you made makes me even more curious: "best muck dive on Roatan, but not for the squeamish"... is there a story in there somewhere? :)

I have done the inner lagoon for maybe 7 or 8 dives at night. Under the dive dock pier is also very cool.

When you are in these "muck dive" environments, besides being a night dive which can creep some people out, the landscape is rather forbidding and lunar. Lots of shades of grey, sometimes silty, so if you have inexperienced divers, this can be problematic. Muck Diving at night means that you are in the precise niche environments enjoyed by some of the most unique and sought after critters in your "reef creatures" book. Due to the increased level of stinging critters in these protected locations, it is well advised to wear full coverage... but even a jellyfish can't sting through something even as light as pantyhose.

if you have any fear or trepidation, hire a DM (for not a lot of money) and give it a try. I wouldn't make it your first night dive, but to continue making open water night dives without having this experience, that would be a great mistake. It is on a par with the Cruise Ship Pier of St Croix, and way less crowded than the circus environment at Bonaire's Town Pier. AKR services a lot of interesting dive sites, but this one is really unique. Well worth your time, but again... things do go bump in the night! :muah:

I've never stayed at AKR, but I have some friends that just did about a month or so ago. They absolutely loved it! I've put it on my list of "gotta get to's" after seeing their pictures.

I'm totally hijacking this thread, but I figured anyone in here may be interested that there is a raffle for a 7 day stay at AKR to benefit SUDS at South Florida Divers SUDS Fundraiser

A $5 raffle ticket might be the golden ticket for ya!

Thanks RoatanMan! Sounds like something we'd both like! The itinerary calls for two night dives... they won't be our first. Thanks for the clarification!

OBX, no worries on the hijack, best of luck with your raffle!

Back
Top Bottom