Akona AKB144 Too Big for Delta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
I have traveled quite a bit with my Akona AKB144 roller bag and never had an issue (usually right at 50 lbs when full). On this trip, the Delta agent measured the bag and told me it was too big (she didn't charge me this time). I looked on the Delta website and the lengthxwidthxdepth can't exceed 62 inches, and this bag does indeed 62 inches.

1) Has anyone else encountered this problem?

2) Any suggestions on an inexpensive roller bag that meets the size requirements? Doesn't need to specifically be a dive bag. Would like it to be a little lighter, but needs to withstand air travel.

Thanks,
Dave

I use regular hard sided suitcase now. They are a lot lighter than dive bags, most brands and they stand up well. It's very rare to have a bag measured but one idea is to get a couple compression straps, basically 2" webbing with a Fastex or similar buckle and cinch it down in a couple of places. This will give you some extra inches.

The new akona <10 lbs. Bag - AKB188 or Progression - AKB156. I have your bag and have had no issues so far and my fiancee has the progression bag and it is actually smaller then mine but holds about the same amount of stuff.

The 10lb or less bag is really nice looking and is the bare essentials for a dive bag. Also doubles well as a backpack with its soft shoulders.

Interesting how they told you the Akona 144 is too big, I flew Delta (actually Continental) to Central America and on the phone they mentioned the 62" rule, the 144 come 'right in there' I guess is they want to be jerks they could make it out too big, anyway, that is the first time I have heard of someone actually measuring up your bag!!!!

Back
Top Bottom