Akona 9 lb Super Lightweight Roller Dive Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tctmd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is a shout out to any Akona Reps out there...

Regarding the new Akona < 10 lb super lightweight roller bag (Welcome to AKONA Adventure Gear!),

Are there any available on-line reviews for this product? Also, some distributors say the bag is available 8/25/8, but the Akona website says it's release is "January" (1/08 or 1/09?).

Also, does anyone have any particularly good/bad experiences with this or other Akona dive bags?

Thanks!

These have been out for a while. I have one, its an okay bag but the zipper gets tough near the top of the bag where it arcs.

My only suggestion for akona would be to make it look less like a dive bag since airlines are getting snarky about dive equipment.

Haven't seen that one but I've broken zippers on both of the prior Akona bags I've owned. Won't go there again.

Thanks for all your comments.

I contacted Akona to ask about the flimsy zippers and they assured me that they have fixed that problem in the newer version:
"The newer version will be arriving with our next shipment next month. There is no change to the name or the part number it is simply an inline change. We changed them from YKK plastic to YKK Bronze zippers."

I really liked the Stahlsac bags (particularly the Truk Laggoon, sleek and sturdy) but just need enough room for one XS set of tropical gear at this time and don't quite yet need as much size as the Stahlsac bags offer. I will look at them again if I upgrade in the future or need to start packing gear for two.

After searching far and wide (including outside of "dive gear" bags, as some people have suggested), I narrowed my choices down to the following:

-Stahlsac Truk Lagoon (28"x18"x13", 6552 cub in, 11.5 lb)
-Akona 10 lbs Roller (29.5"x18"x9", 4624 cub in, 9 lb)
-LL Bean Quickload Upright XL Duffel (26"x16.5"x11", 5238 cub in, 7 lb 11 oz)
-Eagle Creek Cross Roads 25 (25"x15"x10", expands addit 2.5", 3750-4690 cub in, 8 lb)

My requirements were:
-sturdy wheels
-sturdy handle
-durable zippers
-not too heavy
-preferably including hideaway shoulder or back-pack straps

The Eagle Creek Cross Roads 25 offered everything I wanted (minus a shoulder strap). It's lightweight, has sturdy wheels and has zip-away padded mesh backpack and waist straps. It's about equal in size to the Akona 10 lbs bag, but a little lighter and I expect the back-pack straps will come in handy for the occasional off-road adventure (such as my recent trip to Little Corn Island, which has no roads/cars and is mostly made up of winding muddy trails).

Thanks again for the comments!

-T.

Last edited:
this post was a while ago but I was looking to see who has experienced what I have. I bought the <10 and so far am regretting it whole-heartedly. It looks sharp and balances nicely, even when full. The wheel base is a good distance for weight & balance. The bag is tear-prone. I had one and took one trip. It tore. I exchanged it. I've taken about 4 trips since. I have a torn zipper pull (so much for the fixed zippers) and the bag is once again showing signs that it is about to tear. The fabric *looks* stressed from the go and I had some faith that they would be smart enough to know that stressed fabric and airline travel do not mix. I did what you shouldn't do - assume. I'm wrong and now I'm out $150. I can't ship this bag every single time something goes wrong. I love the room this bag has but it did way worse than not hold up. We're talking 6 total trips here folks and the bag's a dud. I now can't use it. Nothing more than cheaply made products but being charged the high quality prices. Be wary if you look at this bag.

I'm not with Akona, but interested in your experience. I've done two week-long trips with my <10 lb bag and have one missing zipper pull (zipper works fine, just missing the pull) and the wheels are a bit gummed up (its been dragged more than a few places on those two trips) but otherwise it seems to be ok. I'd like it to be a bit more fin-friendly and I'm wondering how long the handle will keep up, but so far so good.

I have two Akona bags the 176 and a mesh boat bag they both have rips and the zipper on the mesh boat bag is broken and both are not even a year old

Any bags anyone would recommend.. will be traveling to Roatan in June and need 4 good sturdy roller bags. Was going to get the Akona under 10 but am having serious second thoughts. Buying 4 is a lot of money...
Does anyone know anything about the armorbag #93. It is a roller duffle?
thanks//

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom