AKA or Coco???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tx.lakerats

Club Web Master
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Question to any and all.... I am looking at going to Rotan on Aug31 thru Sept 7th

Either AKR or Coco...how would one chose???

ANY and ALL help is wanted here.....

Thanks in Advance.......

Having stayed at CoCo View, I'm biased to them. I believe you will get the same endorsement from Dee. All in all, they are both excellent resorts.

I personally prefer CoCo View because they are more adult oriented and cater to those of us that are there primarily for diving. Very casual and everthing reasonably priced and pay with the honor system. Food's good and beer's cold.. Works for me.

You'll have a great time which ever one you select.

DSAO,

Larry

Although I haven't actually stayed at AKR, I've visited there several times and have friends who have been there. AKR is a bit fancier, more scheduled, and on a hill that requires climbing lots of steps to the dining hall. My knees don't like the inclines at all!

CCV is basic with no flash. Gift shop, dive shop and photo shop prices are about the same as here at home and since it's on the honor system during the week, you don't have to keep up with money. It was and still is designed by divers for divers and is geared towards adults. With diving truly available 24/7, you are treated as a responsible adult. All rooms have ocean view and is just feet from some of the most fantastic shore diving I've ever done.

I'll take simple, dive~eat~dive~dive~eat~dive~dive any time!

At Coco there's no TV, no radio, no telephone readily available. Entertainment is make-your-own.

I went to AKR to hear two local musicians playing in the bar. The dress was fancier, the crowd noisier, the tv (tuned to CNN) played the whole while the musicians did.

No judgment intended, just observations to help you decide.

Having been to both many times and enjoyed both, I would echo that:

1. The dress at AKR does tend to be up a little from CCV, but not much.

2. CNN is always on the AKR TV (ostensibly for weather updates, but it doesn't matter, it still is there as a painful reminder that there is a world outside you will one day have to return to!).

3. CCV is a little less formal, but the degree of scheduling at AKR felt more like a strength than a weakness.

4. Both places have you run a tab on everything.

5. CCV's shore diving is absolutely top notch! AKR has dolphins, horseback riding, the bird sanctuary a few yards away, and west end close by.

6. CCV seems to attract people who just can't absorb enough nitrogen. I've noticed that AKR guests tended to miss one or maybe even two dives during the week, whereas CCV guests were busy figuring out how many more shore dives they could squeeze in!

7. Where Dee thought CCV was more oriented to adults, I actually had the opposite impression: that I saw more young adults at CCV than AKR. At AKR, you see more families with 8-16 y.o. children (but in all my visits to date, I've yet to see even one misbehaved or obnoxious child!).

8. I have felt that the food at AKR was better, and others with recent visits to both have concurred.

9. Both have great dive staff.

10. I have felt that the land-based staff at AKR were more pleasant and eager to serve (not tip-hungry sycophants, just friendly and eager to be helpful).

You can't go wrong with either one. Since I have an 11 y.o. daughter, we're off for our fifth trip to AKR in August. Now if only they had a frequent diver program . . . . (Julio, Haydee - if you're lurking out there: hint, hint!!)

Thanks to all of you who posted.... I am heading out Aug 31!! Location to be determined but will let you all know once I get back!!!!

Originally posted by AllenG
Having been to both many times and enjoyed both, I would echo that:

7. Where Dee thought CCV was more oriented to adults, I actually had the opposite impression: that I saw more young adults at CCV than AKR. At AKR, you see more families with 8-16 y.o. children (but in all my visits to date, I've yet to see even one misbehaved or obnoxious child!).

By adults, I meant no children, unless they were divers. There are usually plenty of guests at CCV in their early 20's and up.

Again thanks for all the great info... As I am going to "dive my brains out!!" I believe that I will be going with CCV... Thanks again for all the great information that you all gave!!

I have been to both. Fed the food at AKR to the dogs everyday. They loved me.

Beter diving at CCV. Get the over water bungalos. The owner is a snob. Actually an *******. Good shore diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom