airsource adapter for zena doesn’t fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eek think I may have tossed the package, would it be on the adapter itself anywhere?
Here is a photo of the 3 different adapters, left to right are Mares, Zeagle, and Scubapro. Note how the width of the outer ring with the 8 spokes varies by style, making it easy to visually identify the different versions. Also, there is a small "Z" or "S" embossed inside that outer channel for the Zeagle and Scubapro versions.

But correct thread is more than just the diameter, so if Zeagle has changed their fittings it is always possible that the adapter fits only one version. If so, my money is on this fitting an earlier version. You will need a Zeagle SME to weigh in on whether or not there have been any changes. Let us know what you find. If there is a new version I will drop a note to Aqualung, but if it is a standard used only by Zeagle and not by several different (and larger) brands, there would be little chance of interest in creating another variation.

upload_2019-6-22_10-38-34.png

By all means check to see of you can confirm whether or not Zeagle has made any changes, but here is a bit more info:

I just checked that Zeagle adapter on both an Oceanic and a Sherwood BCD. As I suspected, it also fits both of those brands. On the Oceanic it sits just as high as in your photo, with a similar amount of exposed threads. On the Sherwood it nested down close to the BCD. So I would say that portion of the relative fit will vary depending on the height of the threaded flange on the BCD, and also the thickness of the gasket in the fitting. If it didn't have that extra room on the taller flanges, it wouldn't be able to seal on the shorter flanges.

Going by that I have the right connector.

I also stopped by my LDS to run it by them. They said Zeagle has recently changed its connection and so the old adapters no longer work. No word if there will be a new adapter in the works. Looks like I may have to get an octo-z, which unfortunately don’t seem to have great reviews. :\

I also stopped by my LDS to run it by them. They said Zeagle has recently changed its connection and so the old adapters no longer work. No word if there will be a new adapter in the works. Looks like I may have to get an octo-z, which unfortunately don’t seem to have great reviews. :\
Well, let me add some info as a "just in case" for you. Do you ever dive in colder water, below 50F? If you do, then I would highly recommend getting a true octo instead of the octo/inflator combo. I have never seen one that makes any cold water claims, and based on what that design format requires it to do, I doubt that it is possible to design one for cold water use.

Well, let me add some info as a "just in case" for you. Do you ever dive in colder water, below 50F? If you do, then I would highly recommend getting a true octo instead of the octo/inflator combo. I have never seen one that makes any cold water claims, and based on what that form is asking it to do, I doubt that it is possible to design one for cold water use.

Good point. Hopefully one day will be doing some diving off the Carolina coast, from what I understand below 100ft in a 5mm the zeagle zena May not have enough lift so chances are I will need a second BC. However I don’t know that I will go below 60f .....

Maybe a second opinion on that, if possible? I have no idea what changed with Zeagle or when, but if that adapter screwed on comfortably for several threads without any cross-threading damage, and the only issue is that it didn't "bottom out," where you thought it should, then it feels to me like it is actually working correctly. Is there a rubber sealing gasket in the Zeagle flange that you can temporarily remove to see if it (easily, don't force it) screws down further? If so, I would take that as confirmation that the threads are a match.

Maybe a second opinion on that, if possible? I have no idea what changed with Zeagle or when, but if that adapter screwed on comfortably for several threads without any cross-threading damage, and the only issue is that it didn't "bottom out," where you thought it should, then it feels to me like it is actually working correctly. Is there a rubber sealing gasket in the Zeagle flange that you can temporarily remove to see if it (easily, don't force it) screws down further? If so, I would take that as confirmation that the threads are a match.
Will give that a try today. Also sent a FB message and email to Zeagle, no response yet though I’m sure it’s because it’s the weekend.

Still no response from zeagle, think I will go with the atomic ss1, this should be fine with the bx hose of the zeagle bcd and legend twilight reg from aqualung correct?

Chances of getting a manufacturer response to an email on a weekend, or even within just a day or two, are pretty darn low. Depends on whether you are in a rush. I am still more inclined to think that adapter is actually correct.

I have one dislike for the octo/inflators such as the SS1 that are added on in place of the standard inflator, but retain the standard hose. Many dedicated units such as the Airsource have an extra connection midway in the corrugated hose that allows you to pull the left shoulder dump valve on an ascent while breathing off the Airsource, without having to remove the unit from your mouth.

If you don’t have a right shoulder dump, that is critical. If you do have a right shoulder dump then you just have one less option available. Either way, a diver using these items needs to think through ALL the steps for using that octo in an OOA emergency, and visualize the full process. Better yet, practice with it a couple of times.

Far too many of those are sold without any discussion of how to use it and still make a safe ascent.

Chances of getting a manufacturer response to an email on a weekend, or even within just a day or two, are pretty darn low. Depends on whether you are in a rush. I am still more inclined to think that adapter is actually correct.

I have one dislike for the octo/inflators such as the SS1 that are added on in place of the standard inflator, but retain the standard hose. Many dedicated units such as the Airsource have an extra connection midway in the corrugated hose that allows you to pull the left shoulder dump valve on an ascent while breathing off the Airsource, without having to remove the unit from your mouth.

If you don’t have a right shoulder dump, that is critical. If you do have a right shoulder dump then you just have one less option available. Either way, a diver using these items needs to think through ALL the steps for using that octo in an OOA emergency, and visualize the full process. Better yet, practice with it a couple of times.

Far too many of those are sold without any discussion of how to use it and still make a safe ascent.

No right shoulder dump unfortunately. Also can’t determine if SS1 is balanced which sounds like it may be a problem with a balanced reg at depths. Yikes this is frustrating, very tempted just to do the standard alternate, but as we travel a lot I was really trying to minimize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom