Airplane tickets - When to Buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A reg and BCD are two of the easiest-to-rent things. I use my carry-on for camera stuff!

A reg and BCD are two of the easiest-to-rent things. I use my carry-on for camera stuff!

A regulator and BCD are easy to rent- not sure why you think they're any easier to rent than any other essential piece of dive gear- but if you're going to be doing a lot of diving, you want to be using your own BCD which has the D-rings and pockets (if any) and the strap adjustments and all your accessories in places that you are naturally familiar with so you don't need to be fumbling around. Besides a regulator can easily fit inside your carry-on.

But I'm not getting my BCD into my carry-on so it will keep my fins company in the checked bag and I accept that in a worst case scenario I'll be renting a BCD and fumbling around a bit. I'll also probably need to swap an inflator hose but there are worse things in life.

Worst case on a lost luggage issue is that you splurge and buy a fresh mouthpiece for your rental reg?

Or not? The current mouthpiece has been sanitized in salt water....

I'm still too new to have camera gear. I have almost 100 dives but I still worry about task loading. Also helps with the dive travel. One less thing to worry about :)

Last edited:
Interesting. I wonder how do they deliver on that guarantee? Do you get to board "earlier" and just "hope" there is space left? This seems to be "lip service" to me. I could be wrong, but am very interested in how they can deliver this.

As a frequent flyer on Air Canada I try to be first in line in my over-privileged "second group" just below the real overly frequent flyers (Zone 2 or Group B for me). In most every flight I have been on, overhead bins are provided on a first come first served basis. Most (every!) planes do not have enough overhead space for the seating. The only guaranteed space is your foot well area (unless you have a bulkhead row in which case you are totally screwed - never book a bulkhead row).

If you get on last then the overhead above your seat will already be filled by others ahead of you (by people like me). I have observed some sneaky smart back of the bus peeps try to toss their stuff into the business class bins as they board - most of the time they do not get caught. But I have also seen cabin crew call them on it and make them drag their bags backwards.

Some people still actually believe that they will have reserved overhead space regardless. Real life does not work that way.

So how does this work?
We flew to Cozumel on Delta last year. I noticed that the business class and comfort class areas all had special tags in the overheads right over the seats. They identified them as reserved for those seats.

We typically fly as cheap as possible except when flying to a dive destination. I'll pay a bit extra on the way down to ensure I have overhead space. I don't care as much on the way back. I can't help but wonder what new fees they will come up with next. If you want access to the bathroom will you have to buy a water closet zone?

Interesting. I wonder how do they deliver on that guarantee? Do you get to board "earlier" and just "hope" there is space left? This seems to be "lip service" to me. I could be wrong, but am very interested in how they can deliver this.

I can't remember the exact order, but the Comfort section gets to board behind the first class folks and the diamond and platinum members. I think the order is "Pre-boarding" (I might carry a fold up cane from now on), "Premium" (FC and DM), Sky Priority (Comfort, Platinum and Gold Members) and then Zones 1, 2, 3, etc... If you're in Comfort, the OH bins are dedicated to your section, and you are early on the plane. If you are in FC, then you also get a PFB (pre-flight beverage).

A regulator and BCD are easy to rent- not sure why you think they're any easier to rent than any other essential piece of dive gear-
They are easier to rent because they don't have to be sized as carefully as a wetsuit, or have prescription lenses like many maks. In any case, we are only talking about the unlikely event of lost/delayed checked luggage.

Besides a regulator can easily fit inside your carry-on.
No, not if your carry-on is full of camera gear.

Last edited:
We flew to Cozumel on Delta last year. I noticed that the business class and comfort class areas all had special tags in the overheads right over the seats. They identified them as reserved for those seats.

We typically fly as cheap as possible except when flying to a dive destination. I'll pay a bit extra on the way down to ensure I have overhead space. I don't care as much on the way back. I can't help but wonder what new fees they will come up with next. If you want access to the bathroom will you have to buy a water closet zone?
Which resort did you decide to go with?

Which resort did you decide to go with?

We booked Buddy Dive. Den Laman only had a studio available. It looked beautiful but I liked that Buddy Dive has a pool.

Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom