Airplane Engine Ko Olina? Boat Engine Shark's Cove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptFlyingDutchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Found these in a shore diving book.

The Ko Olina map states there is an old airplane engine out there:confused:
koolina.jpg

The Shark's Cove map states there is an boat engine out there:confused:
sharks cove.jpg

Has anyone actually seen them?

i dont know if i would call either one of those dive sites even if I found them Ko Olina has so much more to offer I wouldnt worry about finding no engine.

I'm pretty sure I would have seen the outboard by now if it were still there. I'm not sure Ko'olina is still allowing diving. Never dove there.

Not an outboard, but is an engine.

Attachments

• 2006-08-20, Firehouse to Sharks Cove, Absolutely Gorgeous 2, 067.jpg
    2006-08-20, Firehouse to Sharks Cove, Absolutely Gorgeous 2, 067.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 2010-04-25, Sharks Cove, North Shore finally calms down 190.jpg
    2010-04-25, Sharks Cove, North Shore finally calms down 190.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 2010-04-25, Sharks Cove, North Shore finally calms down 192_1.jpg
    2010-04-25, Sharks Cove, North Shore finally calms down 192_1.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 2010-06-20, Sharks Cove, Outstanding Day 030_1.jpg
    2010-06-20, Sharks Cove, Outstanding Day 030_1.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 68
Oh my gosh!
I've stayed at Ko Olina quite a few times, always wanted to dive off it.
Anyways, when researching about it, I found this page where it says
"Found an aircraft engine 300-400 yds directly due West from entry in 30' of water. Also found landing gear about 100' inshore" and "There is also an airplane engine near the shoreline in about 15 feet of water. Its propellers are bent backward to suggest an impact with the water...1941 perhaps"

Ever since, i've been trying to research it to see if I can find any more info on the wreck.
I've found nothing, and this thread is giving me hope that maybe I will finally find out what that engine is from!

I hope you guys find it...I'd love to help but I live in CA. (well, i'm in kona right now but...)

Back around 1996 I dove a plane wreck off Koolina(then the Nikko) with capt Fritz off his boat before I bought the SSII. I had the old lineups in my book but cant find them as I recall it was in about 75 feet of water and not really intact to be identified it looked like it was dumped there not crashed so this could be part of that. Theres also supposedly a twin engined bomber off makua in about 160 ft but weve never been able to find it. At one time from a military data base I plotted all the known Military airplane crashes in Hawaii and only a few are officially over the water

Back
Top Bottom