Airlines to Sorong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I generally prefer Garuda over Batik/Lion Air and even more so over Sriwijaya and NAM. I’ve flown Batik and Garuda to Sorong via Jakarta without issue. I would also consider Singapore but I would pick based on flight times and prices that were more ideal for you to fly to from where you are. I usually buy a RT or multi city ticket but the two times I’ve done it it was better through Jakarta for me.

I do like Garuda has 20kg free plus 23kg in scuba allowance free. Batik has 20kg free and I just buy extra prepaid baggage (10kg).

I go to Indo 2X a year for an extended period of time. I’ve been in Indo for the last month and Garuda has been totally screwing with flights for many people that I have met or with friends (14) I’ve been with on various legs of this trip. Some have had shared flights with me and some have not. That doesn’t include the strangers I met in Ambon diving with me and the 8 other people not in our group in the first liveaboard we were on. Our full charter was also affected. Granted it isn’t to Sorong, but Batik has been more reliable and on time for me the last 30 days. I’ve been taking Batik more often now. This is purely anecdotal. People flying to various parts of Indo direct or even out of the country on a through-ticket, multiple airports included. They even had the audacity to cancel a flight and try to re-book many of us on NAM then realized a ton of people were canceling then reinstated the flight. In the ridiculous amount of time it took to try to get a 100% refund which they offered if flight times didn’t work, they reinstated the original flight back then tried to tell me the flight time is the same as my original and they wanted to charge a 25% penalty for cancelling and refunding. They were also giving little (2-3 days) to no notice on these flight changes.

With that said, Garuda historically has been a better airline as far as customer service and on time performance, communication, and flights in general. Perhaps this is just an anomaly.

Hey, thanks for the replies. Garuda's website must've been broken but it was working the last time I checked. Boy those flights are pretty expensive! This is pretty last minute too and as I only have two weeks I am trying to decide between there and the philippines.

(My reply to outofofficebrb)

And those are the sorts of reasons that have me showing up a couple of days before the liveaboard.

Another thing to consider is that the morning flights are more likely to be on time or close to on time. As the day progresses, so do backups and/or weather problems.

Swirijaya is in trouble. Are they still operating at all?

As I said earlier, I flew Garuda non stop from Jakarta to Sorong a year ago. The flight is good, it was a new plane and left from their new terminal. The price was great because it was part of my Hong Kong flight. Garada is usually more then others but luggage is already included. By the time you get on the cheap local airlines, they get you for all the extras. And the stress or rude and non caring service, I prefer Garuda even it is an overnight flight.

Try skyscanner.com, they have flight choices that are cheaper then booking direct. Especially for multiple flights.

As a few others have said, you can fly nonstop, overnight, from Jakarta to Sorong. It will probably require a long layover in Jakarta but at that point you'll want to take a long rest. In Jakarta, terminal 3, there is a capsule hotel in the airport near the departure area. It has great showers, supervised luggage room, lockers, towels, slippers and great wifi. If possible, get a lower capsule that you enter from the side (vs. the end). Inside the capsule, there is a TV, head phones, lighting, lots of USB ports and a fan. It's really quite comfortable. All of this for the princely sum of about $20 US. There are many restaurants up in terminal 3 which is about 2 minutes away by foot.

Hi all
We will fly to sorong in december with garuda from jakarta and stay before the flight during the day in an airporthotel in jakarta.
Will we do the garuda check in just after the arrival in jakarta or after staying in the airporthotel ?
Thanks

We did Jakarta-Sorong last year on Garuda. We paid for the airport hotel for the long layover after our arrival from Sydney. Caught the skytrain to the middle terminal where the hotel is and it was all very straight forward.

Agree with you completely, @chillyinCanada !

I flew Jakarta to Sorong direct in April and it was great.

I just can't handle a red eye flight but that's just me. (Maybe if could wangle into business class but that's not always possible)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom