Airline tickets so expensive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I too long for the days of Swine Flu and depth of Near Depression pricing that gave me $350 RT airfares to Coz, minus the other crap of course.

Yes, I too long for the days of Swine Flu and depth of Near Depression pricing that gave me $350 RT airfares to Coz, minus the other crap of course.
The high fuel prices are killing any chance of airlines making any profit these days.
I remember when the norm price range was $400 - $450 going through a Texas town for years. We got to ORD- CUN non-stop for $140 RT the summer of Swine! I wanted to go down to the Yucatan every weekend that summer...

The high fuel prices are killing any chance of airlines making any profit these days.
I remember when the norm price range was $400 - $450 going through a Texas town for years. We got to ORD- CUN non-stop for $140 RT the summer of Swine! I wanted to go down to the Yucatan every weekend that summer...

Our normal fare into Coz is now running around $800 and into CUN is not much less since we have no direct flights there. Not enough savings to make the bag drag worthwhile.

Flying out from LAX it is only about a $50 difference to Cancun versus Cozumel, so bag drag or Mayair not worth it.
Looking at about $553-593 from lax-coz on united this october/november plus extra bag fee.

Just bought tickets for March 20-26 for $450 from DC...but to Cancun and not Coz. Flying straight to Coz from DC is way more expensive.

Well CRUD. Thanks for the good news. I just checked my buddies at Airtran for the non stop from BWI to CUN and it is way up from February.... Drat.... And I gotta get those tickets for Rodeo de Lanches if I am going....

Toronto to Cozumel for November is now showing $671. I am hoping to use points but no luck so far.

Just a thought, but remember that not all airlines show up on a lot of the big Search Engines. Sun Country Air flies direct to Coz from DFW starting May 31 (I think) through September, but only certain days of the week, and often won't show up on search engines (especially if you are only searching certain days). Last year, flying Sun Country saved me about $200 RT over what AA would have cost. Also, for you Texans (or from surrounding states), AirTrans (now merged into Southwest, but not yet fully consolidated on Schedules) flies direct into Cancun from San Antonio and maybe Austin, but Southwest will not sell through the main search engines, so you have to go to the AirTrans Website to book.

Toronto to Cozumel for November is now showing $671. I am hoping to use points but no luck so far.
I see several date pairs in the $500-600 range - cheaper than I get. :sad:

Last edited:
I've been watching the fare on United's web site for about 2 months and round trip from PHX to CZM has been $1,450.00 for 1st class and hasn't wavered a penny in that time. And, in the two months I've been tracking it not one first class seat has sold on any of the 4 legs of the trip, PHX-IAH-CZM / CZM-IAH-PHX.

This morning I decided to check just for the heck of it (expecting it to go up as the dates got closer) but as of this morning it dropped from $1,450.00 to $1,080.00 round trip using the exact same flights and times as the last two months I've been watching, (all costs and fees included).

As a comparison, coach (as of this morning) is $771.00 round trip on same flights and times.

As of right now not one first class seat has sold.. and there are a lot of empties in all classes, including the up-charge extra legroom seats which United has increased from a couple rows in old Continental profile to now about half of the coach seats available.

So if you fly coach and add your bag fees and a leg or two of extra legroom seats you will be approaching the cost of a first class ticket which has no extra charges for bags or upgraded seat charges.

Last edited:
I just checked the Sun Country website for its Summer Schedule on DFW to CZM route. It is only flying on Thursday, Friday, Monday and Tuesday, and only one flight a day. Flights to CZM out of DFW start May 30, run through August 12. RT on Coach starts at about $515, on First Class starts at about $815. Given that Coach has extra charges for every bag over 1, and charges for snacks, etc., while First Class has no baggage fees, preferred boarding, free drinks and food, the extra $300 for First Class both ways seems well worth it to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom