Airline losing all the gear + mitigating the risks next time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mafi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When I flew to Mexico (from Denmark) for some cave diving, I experienced every diver's worst fear while flying: all my gear got lost.

Usually, I put all the very expensive and heavy gear in my carry-on, as Air Canada, which I fly regularly, never checks the weight. But this time, I flew on last minute, so I chose WOW Air for CPH-YYZ and Westjet for YYZ-CUN. As I found out during check-in, they also check the weight of carry-on (my mistake to assume they would not), so they forced me to put most of my gear (3xMK25/620Ti+2x Perdix+2x primary+back-up lights, etc) to my checked luggage (not insured and not GPS tracked, both huge mistakes).

When I arrived at YYZ, I was told that the checked baggage was "delayed" and will be sent to CUN ASAP. Well, it took them 3 days to locate it again, after which they allegedly sent to CUN on WestJet flight. Aaand that was the last time when I heard about the baggage containing basically all my diving gear (listed above+wetsuit, fins, spools, etc).

Only now, after 4 months, they admitted that they actually lost the bag. After I claimed 5k USD compensation (I know, long shot) in lost gear and 920 USD for renting of backup gear they told me that "According to our Condition of Carriage and the Montreal Convention 1999 the maximum liability for checked international baggage is limited to 1.131,0 SDR/XDR." That means I am only entitled to approx 1.4k USD of compensation, both for the gear and the rental combined.

I already bought all the gear again as I cannot live without diving, but my questions are:
  1. Is there any way I can get more than 1.4k USD from them?
  2. What company do you use for gear insurance (non-US resident)
  3. What GPS tracked do you use for your checked baggage?
Thank you all for your answers.

I would advise against GPS tracking because:

a) you're not doing the job of the police
b) it tracks the location of the tracker, not your regs.

Just a lot of effort and money on your part, once the equipment is outside your country you're out of luck.

For your 4th question, "What do you do to circumvent this?" Cargo pants and a photographers vest. Everything that is heavy (first stages, camera lenses) is on my body. They can't do anything about that. That makes my carry on fairly light and when I'm on the plane and seated, I just transfer it back when the flight attendants are not around.

I would advise against GPS tracking because:

a) you're not doing the job of the police
b) it tracks the location of the tracker, not your regs.

Just a lot of effort and money on your part, once the equipment is outside your country you're out of luck.

Well, the reasoning behind this is that it's more likely that they just lost the bag/sent it to the wrong airport, not that it was stolen. In that case, I believe it would be quite helpful to tell them "the bag in Iceland" instead of asking multiple times if they have any idea about the position of the bag.

DAN trip insurance is a little more pricey, but I trust them. World Nomads is reliable and affordable. Shipping gear ahead of time as insured freight is also an option many of my friends use.

. . .
  1. What company do you use for gear insurance (non-US resident)
Doesn't the airline itself offer insurance as an option? The airline I often fly refers to it as an "excess value fee" that can be paid at check-in. Did WOW not offer that option? I have never declared excess value, as my gear is not worth anywhere near what your gear is. But if I found myself at the Check-in counter unexpectedly being forced to move valuables from my carry-on to a checked a bag, I suppose I would tell them I need to declare excess value.

I am sorry for your loss. I recently had UPS lose one of my HP120 cylinders. Though the dollar amount was smaller, it was frustrating, and I can only imagine what it would be like to lose a full set of gear.

Is there any way I can get more than 1.4k USD from them?

No.

What company do you use for gear insurance (non-US resident)

I don't have any. My (US-based) homeowners insurance covers it, but has a $2800 deductible, so it's essentially worthless.

What GPS tracked do you use for your checked baggage?

I don't, and don't recommend it, as it will not do any good to know where you luggage is. If you're in Cancun and your luggage is in some hotel in Boston, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Doesn't the airline itself offer insurance as an option? The airline I often fly refers to it as an "excess value fee" that can be paid at check-in. Did WOW not offer that option? I have never declared excess value, as my gear is not worth anywhere near what your gear is. But if I found myself at the Check-in counter unexpectedly being forced to move valuables from my carry-on to a checked a bag, I suppose I would tell them I need to declare excess value.

I would not count on the airline actually honoring a claim on the excess value declaration. They might, but then again they might decide that one or more of their myriad exceptions applies.

I would not count on the airline actually honoring a claim on the excess value declaration. They might, but then again they might decide that one or more of their myriad exceptions applies.

You believe the airline is less likely to honor an excess valuation that you paid a fee for than an insurance company that you likewise paid a fee (premium) for? Delta charges $50, for example, if I declare a value between $4,000-$5,000. Would Delta take my money and then when they lose my bag say "sorry--we're not honoring that"?

You believe the airline is less likely to honor an excess valuation that you paid a fee for than an insurance company that you likewise paid a fee (premium) for? Delta charges $50, for example, if I declare a value between $4,000-$5,000. Would Delta take my money and then when they lose my bag say "sorry--we're not honoring that"?

Hmmm, this is the first time that I heard of this “excess value fee”. I’m going to look into it.

I am not aware of any baggage loss insurance that covers more than $1-1.5k.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom