Airfare Deals/Tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre:
Huh? scubaboard.org isn't even a registered domain....

Yeah, sorry. I meant to say its "scubaforum.org". Sometimes I dont really check what I type before I post.

Nonrevenue travel benefits for airline employees are borderline worthless right now. The airlines have cut capacity in order to increase load factors. They are overbooking flights on a regular basis as they scramble to increase frequency with smaller aircraft. The days of 75% load factors are over. Profitability and survivability mean LF's in the 90%+. This means standby passengers will have a more difficult time traveling under their old strategies. Pilots, FAA inspectors, and Secret Service have the option of the cockpit jumpseat. Flight Attendants can ride a spare jumpseat in the cabin. As for Customer Service Agents, Mechanics, Ramp Agents, and family members, NR travel can be a very big PITA. Most of these employees are taking advantage of historically cheap seat prices and getting a guarrenteed seat.

Mikswi, my recommendation for you is to do the Orbitz route so you'll know when the price hits a low. Priceline.com can be beneficial only in the last days leading up to the flight when, if there is overcapacity, the airline wants to squeeze some more discounted revenue out of the flight.

mempilot:
Nonrevenue travel benefits for airline employees are borderline worthless right now.

It really depends on the route. In the last 6 months me and my pass riders have flown 39 segments. Of those I'd say we've been bumped on 4 times, and I expected to be bumped an all 4 of those.

chrpai:
It really depends on the route. In the last 6 months me and my pass riders have flown 39 segments. Of those I'd say we've been bumped on 4 times, and I expected to be bumped an all 4 of those.

What carrier?

chrpai:
The day of travel matters also. I f you expect to fly standby to say Vegas on Fri and come back Sun night you better have a plan B or reservations to a local hotel. Try the same route Thurs - Mon and you should be fine. Last year my wife and I made 3 trips to Maui, 2 FL, and a buch of Vegas trips. Haven't been bumped yet knock on wood. :cheeky:

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I tried going to a different airport and then driving to Panama City, I ended up SAVING almost $450.00!! Plus it's only about a 2 hour drive, with a direct flight in. Going the other way-I had a layover.

I have to rent a car anyways while i'm there so this works out perfect. Thanks again to everyone.

First, consider booking a full fare tik right now to lock in a seat. Only if it is reasonably cheap and cancellable without fee.

For that type of flight $302 is not bad and $99 each way is probably the best you will do. Flying somewhere else and getting a car is a maybe. How about SW Air to Birmingham and a rental. I think Birmingham is closer. I find it is usually cheaper to bring my own wine in my carry on. I save more on that than I do on the airline. Get one of those cardboard wine boxes and save a bunch of money.

texangel,
Why do you bring your own wine?
If your drinking it on the plane, that is a huge no-no.:nonono:

"texangel,Why do you bring your own wine?" I agree, Jack Daniels is a much better choice! LOL

Seroisely, why is drinking it on the plane a huge no-no? They sell it, therefore it's allowed. As long as one acts as a responsible adult.................

Back
Top Bottom