Air2 or Octo... or Both??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look, most of the anti voice are long hosers. Not to start another 1000 post thread but most of it comes back to just that, if it aint DIR, it's wrong. I just have to ask, if DIR is so great, why do you even need backup anything?
Before making a choice, dive one and see, AIR2/3 may be for for, may not be for you. Believe it or not, there is more than one right answer.

Wildcard:
I just have to ask, if DIR is so great, why do you even need backup anything?

:confused:

Wow.

Just trying to make a point.

Uh, I'm not DIR at all, not even close. DIR did not invent the long hose (or the bp/w for that matter). I cave dive which introduced me to the long hose.

During my cave training, every exit was an OOA drill. We would swim for 500 to 1000' sharing air with lights out. That may not sound very fun to many of you but I promise, it was far more comfortable than sharing air with a conventional setup during a 30' ascent. Face to face with a buddy performing a drill with you and trying to control your ascent is one thing. Face to face with a panicked diver is quite another. I'll give him (and myself) as much room as I can.

The standard 33" octo is a step up from buddy breathing. The 5 to 7' hose (regardless of whether its the primary, as dictated by DIR, or the secondary regulator) is a step up from that. The Air2 is a freak of evolution.

By the way, those people going through 40+' swim throughs in Cozumel would always amaze me. These are restrictions and the only way to share air in many of these swim throughs is if the person in front or behind you has a long hose. Of course everyone is well aware of their pressure when entering one of these but what about a banged yoke that breaks the seal on the 1st stage?

loosebits:
Uh, I'm not DIR at all, not even close. DIR did not invent the long hose (or the bp/w for that matter). I cave dive which introduced me to the long hose.

During my cave training, every exit was an OOA drill. We would swim for 500 to 1000' sharing air with lights out. That may not sound very fun to many of you but I promise, it was far more comfortable than sharing air with a conventional setup during a 30' ascent. Face to face with a buddy performing a drill with you and trying to control your ascent is one thing. Face to face with a panicked diver is quite another. I'll give him (and myself) as much room as I can.

The standard 33" octo is a step up from buddy breathing. The 5 to 7' hose (regardless of whether its the primary, as dictated by DIR, or the secondary regulator) is a step up from that. The Air2 is a freak of evolution.

By the way, those people going through 40+' swim throughs in Cozumel would always amaze me. These are restrictions and the only way to share air in many of these swim throughs is if the person in front or behind you has a long hose. Of course everyone is well aware of their pressure when entering one of these but what about a banged yoke that breaks the seal on the 1st stage?

Seems to me even the ardent supporters of air2 have already conceded that it's NOT for cave/cavern or any overhead environment... If you don't like it, don't use it... If you're offended by it for some reason... well... c'est la vie...

Wildcard, the only person who has mentioned DIR on this thread is you, I think!

The OP asked for opinions, and he's gotten some.

There are a number of perfectly reasonable ways to configure gear and to do emergency procedures. What is really important is that, whatever configuration you choose, you understand the pros and cons of it, are familiar with the use of it, and practice emergency procedures enough to be smooth and facile with them.

TSandM:
There are a number of perfectly reasonable ways to configure gear and to do emergency procedures. What is really important is that, whatever configuration you choose, you understand the pros and cons of it, are familiar with the use of it, and practice emergency procedures enough to be smooth and facile with them.

Amen... and 'nuff said...

loosebits:

Actually, my training says to keep the panicked OOA diver close - like in physical contact. That is how you control him and calm him down. Saying "Here's some gas, now stay away from me" is not a good way to control stress and panic in an OOA diver. That could get you towed to the surface at the other end of your long hose.

Wildcard:
Just trying to make a point.

And I'm still waiting for one.........:mooner:

Air2's are a complete convolution and it's no wonder it's also the OP's 'Option 1' as that's what he would get around here :) lol

I'm continually amazed with my OW students that see the long-hose and bungie set-up, and then try several OOA's with the 'standard' gear they realize instantly that my set-up makes so much more sense. They have no idea of the heated debates about it, nor do I discuss it. They are a perfect test of what common sense would dictate. Then unfortunately from there they get poisoned by all the nonsense and precious few stick with their original untainted thoughts :(

regards

divingjd:
Actually, my training says to keep the panicked OOA diver close - like in physical contact. That is how you control him and calm him down. Saying "Here's some gas, now stay away from me" is not a good way to control stress and panic in an OOA diver. That could get you towed to the surface at the other end of your long hose.

The long hoses does not in any way restrict how close you can get to an OOA diver.

On the other hand it does allow for two reasonably competant divers to go about exiting the dive in a manner that does not look like a rape in progress.

Glad your training was so valid.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom