Air vs. Nitrox Research Paper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My research shows Nitrox makes Sprite taste funny...

Weak:
My printer ate my paper :(

Better:
Well, I finished my paper, but then the Navy showed up and burned it

Best:
Note to Prof. - Very sorry, but I'm out diving!

vladimir:
Unfortunately, I hadn't adequately prepared for the interview, and you really can't fake questions on prehistoric tree shrews with an expert.

:lol: I should say not! What a funny mental picture that evokes, still laughing!

rottielover:
Weak:
My printer ate my paper :(

Better:
Well, I finished my paper, but then the Navy showed up and burned it

Best:
Note to Prof. - Very sorry, but I'm out diving!

Those are good, I'll have to keep those in mind!!!

HoggieEater:
My research shows Nitrox makes Sprite taste funny...

I've always thought, given the color of nitrox equipment, that it should be lemon (or "Lymon") flavored. According to the Sprite commercials I've seen, it'd be very refreshing.

UGA:
I've always thought, given the color of nitrox equipment, that it should be lemon (or "Lymon") flavored. According to the Sprite commercials I've seen, it'd be very refreshing.
you'd think, but no, it's not ... sorry to say...

Sometimes you just don't realise that you are screwing up until after the fact. This is an admission of MY PERSONAL oversight here. Fortunately no one was hurt or put into a position where they COULD get hurt.

As many of you know, I hate "trust me" dives. So imagine my chagrin, when after doing a 68 foot dive, my advanced water student asked me WHAT is in that tank? I looked and realised that I allowed her to grab a Nitrox filled tank. Oooops. I asked her WHY she asked and her response was amazing. "I felt so much better on this dive". Really? Are you sure it wasn't the small blue tape with 32/110 pjm on it? "No, I just felt so good and relaxed." I mention this in my classes all the time. That there is a reason they put the guy who finished runing 90 yards for a touchdown on pure oxygen and not on pure Nitrogen, but that they should NOT expect to feel any better. Maybe they should.

BTW, the student is finishing up her NitrOx cert and I have apologised a number of times.

OMG... NetDoc is.. GASP... human after all? :) Just Teasing!!

We're all human, we all make mistakes, for some reason it sounds to me like your beating yourself up a bit over it...

When I took my nitrox cert, the instructor responded to a student question of "will I feel better" by saying something to the effect of "the offical answer is that you should not expect to feel any differently than diving on air" He then went on to say something like, "but after a weeklong trip, say shore diving for a week, I'VE personally noticed a difference".

I think once again, that this is one of those personal things, some people will feel better, some won't... Personally I'm one of those that feels less tired after diving EANx than I would on the same dive on air, that's just me...

rottielover:
We're all human, we all make mistakes, for some reason it sounds to me like your beating yourself up a bit over it...
As an instructor I possibly take my craft a bit too seriously. So sue me! :D However, I truly abhor "trust me" dives and having a student on NitrOx without them knowing it (or me realising it) is inexcusable. You can bet it won't happen again.

Back
Top Bottom