Air Source or Octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DitrasetMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am debating between buying a Legend octopus or skipping the octopus altogether and getting an air source inflator. I was told that the air source inflator could be an issue with a buddy that needs air, because you have to give him your primary regulator while you breath from the air source inflator, but on the other hand you have one less thing floating around. The price of the Aqua Lung air source is $105 and the Legend octopus is $156.

---------- Post Merged at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Anyone?

I went with the air source2 because my good friends with many 100's of dives recommended it. 149 dives later, it worked out great, but I've never had to donate during an emergency. Yes, you would donate your primary and go to your air source. I don't see this being a big deal but I make sure to practice using it frequently.

For my 17 year old son we went with the simple octo because he didn't want to have to deal with the air source in an emergency. He wants to hand off the octo and keep his primary for himself. He also likes the octo better for his own use if the primary fails. I let him decide and I think it's good thinking.

I still see most rental gear has a normal octo. Most new personal gear I see on the boats have a combination inflator/octo unless the gear is for tech diving. Overall, it's diver's choice. Do want you prefer.

Edit:
The Aqualung Titan LX is an outstanding reg if you are buying new. Breaths great, very reliable, and either AquaLung octo is tuned to match this reg. If you are looking at the Legend Octo then you will have a really excellent backup.

Are there any pros and cons of using an air source versus an octo (outside of the potential buddy issues)? I would get the Legend octo or the AL Air Source 3.

But you have the additional benefit of having one less things floating around. I am trying to determine the cons of using an air source....You are going to have a hose there anyway...

Are there any pros and cons of using an air source versus an octo (outside of the potential buddy issues)? I would get the Legend octo or the AL Air Source 3.

PROs

1) It saves a hose.

CONs

1) Buddy may be unfamiliar with air-sharing protocol. Resolution: Brief and rehearse during pre-dive check.
2) May require longer primary hose for air-sharing, more cluttered / less streamlined. Resolution: None
3) May cause difficulty maintaining buoyancy on ascent when air-sharing (access to LPI when you are breathing from it). Resolution: Practice
4) May be issues with servicing/spares of LPI and hose. Resolution: Inquire in local dive shops about their capability to service/repair

Personally, I don't like Air2 type systems. I think they are self-defeating in the quest for simplicity and add complications to emergency scenarios where simplicity and straightforwardness are known factors in reducing diver stress (stress being the precursor to panic and a major factor in performance degradation).

One con is the hose connector size is different on many of the integrated octo/inflators. Swapping regulators is more difficult (i.e. you have to change a hose also). Normally you won't need to, but for example if your on a boat and you have problems with your reg, you can't swap out as easy with the spare reg boats typically keep on hand for this purpose.

Another con is its a little more complicated to control you ascent breathing off you inflator hose. You can do it, it just different and if you need to do it, you are going to be stressed a bit already.

IMO, Neither one of this is a deal breaker for rec diving, I just like old school (separate octo, same 2nd as my primary but adjusted to a slightly higher cracking pressure).

I don't like them b\c most divers don't understand you need to donate the primary. Im dir though and so don't use them even when working with students as I do no with padi. Ymmv
Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Let's see how many times have I needed my backup.... That would be never..... :D

I think if you are out of air getting some is AWESOME. Are you really going to bitch about the style? But you are getting the Primary with the Octo Inflator, so you are getting a proven air source. The one doing the donating gets the backup. So if you are using an Air2 then that is what your breathing from in an emergency. I have an Octo and an Air2, but when traveling I generally leave the octo at home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom