Air source 3 or Octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pictureman22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a new diver 30 dives or so. It's time to get gear.

I really like the Aqualung Zuma. Fits nice, lightweight and got mostly great reviews.

Now Airsource 3 vs Octo. What are your thoughts? Keep in mind that I will mostly if not all the time be diving with my soon to be wife who is also considering this option.

What are the pro/cons?

What other things can you tell me?

There are long and often "heated" threads regarding the topic of integrated octo/inflators. I wont go there.

But if you use an air source or similar "integrated" octo/inflator, you should fit your primary regulator with a longer (octo length) hose.

Why? Because in an air share situation, you will donate the regulator in your mouth to the out of air diver. Typical primary regulator hoses are usually too short to do this comfortably; possible, but you'll be face mask to face mask and banging knees as you try to ascend.

My personal preference is a conventional octo on an octo-length hose (33" or more I believe). Well, actually I currently dive with a 6' primary hose and short backup on a bungee beneath my chin, and donate the primary, but that is a different topic.

Best wishes.

If you can, borrow or rent one for a dive, and spend some time breathing off of it. Then decide if this is a good choice for your or not.

I liked the fewer hoses aspect of the integrated air source until having donated my primary and doing an assent, including safety stop, breathing off and Air 2. I then decided I would rather have a traditional octopus. Buoyancy control was a little encumbered but not that big of an issue, the part that really annoyed me was the restricted head movement. It was more difficult to look around and I could not look to the right at all (where my buddy was). Reading gauges, watching my buddy, even looking up, all became needlessly difficult.

-Chocula

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom