air sharing... with the drysuit inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Now this is not a recommeded practice nor would I have done this with just anyone or on any other dive site (probably.)

We had anchored the boat, geared up and were ready to go in on a rock reef at 60'.

I asked my buddy to untangle my drysuit hose and hand it to me since I couldn't reach it for some reason and I was already in my rig.

He putzed around claiming he couldn't find it. I asked him how many hoses were coming out of the first stage and he said "Two."

Uh oh... I have been switching back and forth between rigs lately and this trip I'd taken my small set of doubles... but I hadn't taken the suit inflation bottle and my doubles left post reg didn't have a suit inflator hose.

Well now. I could get out of my rig, go get a hose out of the gear box and put it on the left post... but the other guys were ready to go and it was sunny and hot.

So... I decided to take what gas I had in the suit down with me and get a spurt of suit gas from my buddy on the way if I needed more.

Dumping my wing and using the anchor line I pulled down far enough that the suit bubble squeezed down just about right... but I was feeling a little wet on the chest and then the crotch.

Uh oh. While on the boat getting geared up I had noticed that my suit inflator button was sticking and had been pushing it in and waiting for it to pop out. That's when I asked my buddy for the inflator hose figuring a blast of gas would help pop it back out.

Well the button was still pushed in and water was coming into the suit!

Soooo... I held my finger over the inlet for the descent and sure enough that stopped the flow... but I didn't want to do the whole dive with my finger in the dike.

I swam over to my buddy and made the *share suit gas* signal and he unhooked his inflator hose. I bellied up to the bar and popped his hose onto my suit. I'm sure glad that there isn't a video of this... though we stayed off the bottom and in perfect trim of course.

"Look Ma... Siamese Divers!" :D

Fortunately a push on the button accomplished two things... I received the necessary *60' relief* and the button popped back out.... the later being the most important to me.

I unhooked and gave him back the hose and things were just peachy for the rest of my cold, wet dive.

Back on the boat I turned my suit inside out and the lightweight trilam instantly dried in the sun... though the weasel took a little longer and was damp on the second dive.

During our SI I got an inflation hose out of the box and put it on my rig... plus I fiddled with the inlet valve insuring that it would function properly.

Now he thinks we are even. A decade ago this same buddy had sucked a vacuum on his tank at 90' and then requested air from me. We buddy breathed for a while until I remember that newfangled octopus I had just put on my reg the day before.

Wouldn't your wing inflator hose reach?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Wouldn't your wing inflator hose reach?
1. Yes if I was diving an OMS.
2. No.. not with this rig... I have a very short inflator hose on my wing.
3. Yes if there had been a video camera in the area.

I learned a new sign-language sign on my recent 3-dayer - the (now infamous) I GOT TO PEE NOW sign. I wasn't familiar with this sign, but it sort of explained its self when my buddy flashed it to me....

UP - just what would the "loan me some suit gas" sign be? A modified OOA but more like "Yo buddy, my suit is OOA" sign? :D

Curious...

PS: Dewy sez necky fixed today - ships monday.... whew!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

1. Yes if I was diving an OMS.
2. No.. not with this rig... I have a very short inflator hose on my wing.
3. Yes if there had been a video camera in the area.

After thinking about it I thought you would give that answer. I probably have the same length inflator (the stock Halcyon) but being a small guy I think mine will reach.

Mo2vation once bubbled...
UP - just what would the "loan me some suit gas" sign be?
Since I am always prepared most of the time and always thinking ahead sometimes... I had prearrainged with my buddy that I might be asking for a squirt or two so he was expecting it... sorta.

Actually it went something like this... when we got to the bottom I was plugging my inflator nipple with my finger while I used the other hand to set the grapple hook where I wanted it.

Then I used my HID beam to flash my buddy who was occupied with thoughts of his own and looking the other way.

After I got his attention I simply pointed to my inflator and he swam over and assumed the position.

Worked like a charm. :D

Mo2vation once bubbled...
I GOT TO PEE NOW sign.
I don't know what sign you guys use... but since we have P valves situational awarness is really important.

If you notice your buddy stop moving and hover... swim up current from him.

I wasn't thinking and put the thing in the dryer...

Well tomorrow we go do it again... only this time the weasle stays dry... but my purdy face will get wet. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom