Air Refills Mixing With NITROX Gas Remains...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's no LAW in the US either, only good sense.

Seems the opposite of common sense to me. More a case of passing the blame. I'm far happier with the end user being solely responsibly for knowing what he is using and the proper usage.

Two analyzes are better than one.

So its the end users responsibility to buy or use 2 analysers.

Two analysts are also better than one.

Two analysts are also better than one.
Actually, most places around here require the diver to analyze the contents and log it prior to leaving the shop, but will not analyze the contents for the diver. I guess there's a certain amount of liability assumed by the shop if they sniff the tank.

Actually, most places around here require the diver to analyze the contents and log it prior to leaving the shop, but will not analyze the contents for the diver. I guess there's a certain amount of liability assumed by the shop if they sniff the tank.

That's how it is around here, too.

air. By my crude math, that would create ~37% O2 mix in the tank. Due to it being a regular air fill, I would not think to analyze the tank when I got it back. So if I go past 90 feet (~1.4 @ 37%) on my deep dive thinking I am only on air then I am in potential trouble. If I go past 110 ft (~1.6 @ 37%) then I could be in serious doo-doo. Note: The math is rough and approximate for example purposes only.

Always analyze your own tank before you use it. If you don't, you can die.

Your tank can contain anywhere from 0% to 100% O2, depending on who filled it and what kind of gases they have available. While gas blenders are typically very careful, they are human and do make mistakes.

Terry

2) ANALYZE, ANALYZE, ANALYZE... always, always, always; some people are more sensitive to OxyTox and the difference between a PO2 of 1.3 to 1.4 can send them into seizures. So please make sure you analyze the tanks after they are filled.

Please cite some authorative source. I've never heard of anyone toxing at less than 1.6. That's part of the reason 1.6 was established.

I frequently dive top-offs for shallow dives. If you start with a known value of Nitrox, say 32%, and have a top off of air for a shallow dive that would not exceed a MOD of 1.6 for 32%, then you can get by without analyzing for a single day of recreational diving.

I certainly agree that you should analyze, but there maybe situations where you can't. One of the dive shops that I frequent sells Nitrox, but doesn't have an analyzer available for public use. You have to take their word for it that you have 32%. Ironically, they then ask you to sign a log book and put in the mix and MOD. I can sometimes be a smart ***** so I sign the book and put Unknown for both mix and MOD, just to make a point.

I certainly agree that you should analyze, but there maybe situations where you can't. One of the dive shops that I frequent sells Nitrox, but doesn't have an analyzer available for public use. You have to take their word for it that you have 32%. Ironically, they then ask you to sign a log book and put in the mix and MOD. I can sometimes be a smart ***** so I sign the book and put Unknown for both mix and MOD, just to make a point.

That's pretty messed up. Even the sketchy shops down here require a diver to analyze the gas.

Back
Top Bottom