Air Pacific (Fiji) baggage allowance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divengolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am considering a trip on the Nai'a next year and checking airfares, I found that Air Pacific's baggage policies are ridiculous. They allow 1 checked bag at 50# and 15# of carry-on. When I asked them, here's their reply:

"For check-in luggage your free baggage allowance is 23 kilograms / 50 pounds and for carry-on 7 kilograms / 15 pounds.

If you carry or check-in more than the weight limit you will be charged Excess baggage of USD5.00 per kilogram.

In regards to your diving equipment it is considered a Bulky Item which is a separate charge from your Baggage Allowance. Since your flight is originating from Los Angeles there is a charge of USD50.00 per item.

For further queries please contact Air Pacific Reservations at any time."

So my normal dive & photo gear will cost me about $200 extra each way.

Does anyone know a way around this or have experience with Air Pacific?

Try calling the Nai'a office to see if you can get any support from them. They work very closely with Air Pacific and might have a little more pull with them. Usually typical scuba gear can be passed off as a "sports item", much like golf clubs. On my many Air Pacific flights I've had really good experiences. My carry-on usually weighs 45 pounds (rolling backpack or Porter Case) and I've never had a problem, except once with Air Niugini. You can also resort to wearing a safari type photographer vest and carry lenses, etc. in your pockets. I've seen that work too. I always carry one in my camera bag just in case.

Even if you do end up having to pay extra, a trip aboard Nai'a is worth it. They will take you to the best diving in Fiji and you'll go in style.

Those specs are accurate. Don't quite understand how you are calculating it though. Your 1 bag would contain all your gear including scuba and you wouldn't be charged extra for it. If you have a separate object besides your one checked bag, you would be subject to such other fees. If you bring more than a single checked bag you pay but restrictions on # of free bags is becoming universal. Actually $5 a kilo is not bad as other airlines I've used like Singapore Air charge a flat rate (like $300 on SFO - SIN) for any amount over. Per overage is much better. However, Singapore Air allowed paying $137 for a additional bag rather than paying the overlimit fee. I checked in advance so I just brought the extra bag, and I was stress free and had plenty of room.

Restrictions on carry on is also par for the course and actually higher weight than some others. My experience is that they will weigh it or check it at the gate if it appears bulky or weighty. I use a photo backpack that, while carrying 25 pounds, hangs loosely on me to appear unworthy of weighing. I also don't hang around the gate until last minute so I stay out of the eye of the gate agents. Note that the ticket agents do come down around flight time some time so try not to suddenly have more baggage.

Okay, I am re-opening this topic. Anybody been on Air Pacific lately that would care to comment about their carry on restrictions? Are they being enforced? I am leaving for Fiji in a week and am would like to know.. Thanks in advance............

I flew Air Pacific to Fiji in Feb, and they did not weigh my carry on, I chose a backpack and just tried to make it appear "airy" while standing at the counter. I did manage to hit 50 lbs exactly on my checked bag with the aid of a digital travel scale.

Bula. The gate agent tried to get us on the return trip. Wanted a $20. bribe. When we pointed out the much larger carry ons were going by and told folks to be ready for a hand out, the $20 suddenly came back to us. The "sports gear" approach didn't work coming back and we were charged $150 per 2nd bag. - ouch. You WILL love the Na'ia

Carry on limits are always enforced, it's only a question of whether they happen to catch you to enforce it. I believe the limit is 11 pounds on Singapore Air. Cost is not the problem if caught, it's breaking your gear if they force you to check your carry on with cameras, etc.

We flew AP in the Spring and didn't have any trouble checking a dive bag and a suitcase each. Did not have carry-on weighed (and the wife had her UW camera kit in a pelican case - would have been much overweight) either to or from. Not sure if they have class of service differences in allowance, but I'll say that their "business" class service is quite poor (compared to their peers) and not really worth the money - but it may have different baggage rules if you're flying on miles it may be a tipping point to go for the upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom