Air Jamaica pulls out of Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im not surprised..I flew with them to Bonaire once...never again!

With Con and now Delta..there are plenty of other options?

With Con and now Delta..there are plenty of other options?

Actually your options with Delta and Contiental are limited.

Delta only has 1 flight each way per week on Saturday.

I think that Contitential is the same and it's a friday-night-red-eye from Houston.

So if your bags don't make the connection, it means you don't get your gear until the next flight, which is a week away. Continential is adding a 2nd holiday flight from Houston though... but that's not permanent.

How are local tourist ops feeling about AJ pulling out? The dive shop I work for just cancelled their trip to Bonaire next summer (jul 08) because they had a package price with AJ flights. They couldn't come close to matching the price with other airlines, so no more trip to Bonaire.

Delta has much higher prices, and I'm hearing that they are limiting or not flying during low season (Sep?). Read that somewhere, not sure of the facts on that one.

I'd love to take my family to Bonaire, but at around $900 a pop for tickets times 4 it's just too much money. I can go elsewhere for airfare/hotel/diving for a little more that $900 per person (talking 2 kids that can room with us).

Wish we could get there for around the same price as we can go to other Carribean locations!

the couple of times i've gone, it'z been on American to Curacao then jump on the DAE flight (CUR->BON) - pretty painless and not too pricey (although on the way home i get a few hours to sit at Curacao which would be nice to avoid - but i do get to avoid San Juan which is a good thing). If Delta is too expensive I'll do the same next time.

I also had two tickets bought on AJ for July 26th 2008. When I found out the flight was cancelled, I was persistant, called AJ several times and now I'm booked ( and confirmed with Delta myself ) on the Delta flight. AJ switched me for the same price. :D

I've been leading dive groups to Bonaire since 1973. I've never had as much trouble getting there as I do any other place in the world...except for my canceled Bikini Atoll trip of this past week due to Air Marshall Island's mechanical problems in Majuro!

Air Jamaica had the best routing through our local NY airports. Their flights through Montego Bay were always great for us putting us into Bonaire early afternoon on arrival and leaving early afternoon on the day or return. Great schedule and no one has ever been there to match that!

Too bad as I've refused to do Bonaire again until flights get better. I've been there over 40 times with groups and I need a better schedule if the island wants my business. I'm leading another group...the second in 12 months...back to Curacao. Diving is almost as good, more to do and much easier to get to. Lion's Dive has worked for me as a shop owner and group leader!

Capt. Noel...orbitmarine.com

Orbitdive--yep, we are in the NE also. Too bad because I love Bonaire. From a trip planning standpoint, Bonaire is just too hard to get to. It is difficult to route thru Curacao and depend on getting tickets for everyone on the island hoppers. AJ had it's problems, but they were the best option from the NE.

Delta is no answer, and I think Bonaire will soon realize that. I just checked flights from Washington DC area to Bonaire in mid July 08. Tickets were over $1000 per person. No go for us--I can get somewhere and stay and dive all week for close to that price.

Thanks Divchik for agreeing with my assessment of Bonaire's flight problems. I thought I was the only one, but traveling since 1973 to Bonaire (personally jumped off La Donna's Leap w/Capt Don in the "old" days), it's never been a picnic getting there except for the original Air Jamaica NY schedule through Montego Bay. It would be nice if the Bonaire government could support/subsidise that flight schedule to insure it continued. Big market up here and Bonaire is going to lose out to other islands competing with better flights/schedules.

Noel

Back
Top Bottom