Air integration terminology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Javik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there a standard way to describe computers that use a wireless transmitter vs those with a pressure hose that goes into the computer? Seems like these two categories get lumped together in stores.

And besides "wireless" is sort of a weird name for them, because as far as I know there is not the opposite, which is a "wired pressure pod with a thin flexible data cable going to the computer". If there's not a transmitter pod then there's always a pressure hose direct to the computer.

So "hoseless" sounds more correct than "wireless"...

Apparently the correct way to tell them apart, is therefore Hosed vs Hoseless ?

Console vs Wrist mount ?

wireless air integrated vs air integrated or console air integrated. There are some wired pressure pods that attach to computers, though the "wired" part is the wires from the pressure sensor going directly to the computer even though it's in the same housing.

I see various terms used, though it's usually clear from context what people mean.

Personally I tent to use "air integrated" or "gas integrated" to describe any computer that integrates a pressure display into the computer display and integrates pressure information into the information the computer gives you- such as showing gas time remaining. They could be either console, wrist mount, HUD or anything else.

I tend to say "hoseless" for computers that transmit gas pressure info through the water without a direct physical connection, since a main point of doing so is to eliminate a high pressure hose. I'm can't think of any computers that transmit gas pressure signals from a tank mounted sensor through wires to a computer module (though maybe some HUD modules have, on second thought), so "wireless" seems kind of non-descriptive and it has another meaning in the contemporary world. While any console air integrated computer is going to have a pressure sensor module mounted to the console and connected to the main computer with wires, it's all contained in a single unit and high pressure gas needs to be carried to the pressure module via a hose.

Now if we could just get clear if we are "uploading" or "downloading" dives...:wink:

Ron

Apparently the correct way to tell them apart, is therefore Hosed vs Hoseless ?

Personally, I would call that correct. But, if someone says wireless, I don't perceive any ambiguity that would result in a failure of the listener to translate that as "hoseless". I think it's more common to see/hear people say "wireless" and to see the abbreviation "WAI". I have never seen anyone write "HAI".

I have seen plenty of people say "air integrated" or "AI" when they actually meant specifically wireless/hoseless and either assumed it was understood from the context, or simply failed to recognize/remember that AI could also mean hosed.

Back
Top Bottom