Air integrated vs. SPG, a small study

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, maybe I'm just getting that relaxed about being underwater. I'm not going to argue with it; the low SAC makes me feel even more confident that I can get two dives reliably off the 72s, which is what I started this whole thing trying to figure out.

lamont:
I can get .45 on a good day and I weigh about 200#.
I too can get at .45 on a good day (and a head ache) so I try and keep it higher. (and I run not quite 17 stone).

Thalassamania:
I too can get at .45 on a good day (and a head ache) so I try and keep it higher. (and I run not quite 17 stone).

yeah, if i try to push it any lower i get a headache...

I used to really try and get my SAC rate down, I was very ego envolved in it, then I started thinking about CO2 retention ... I got a bigger tank instead. My spinal cord has been very, very, good to me.

TSandM:
I guess because when I read the ranges people quote, numbers below .4 seem to occur almost exclusively in warm water diving.

There are exceptions. My regular buddy gets between .32 and .35 on almost all of our dives. He's not even particularly small; he's just incredibly good on air.

R..

BTW, just in response to the possible implied criticism . . . I do nothing to try to lower my air consumption. It's already pretty low. I just breathe how I breathe, and I don't get headaches. The only reason I've gotten into this fixation on it was to try to figure out whether the 72s would do long term, or whether I was eventually going to want bigger doubles in order to get two dives out of them on a regular basis.

SAC is nice to know if you like to crunch the numbers a lot, but you develop a statistical base much better logging dives at different depths and conditions.

TSandM:
BTW, just in response to the possible implied criticism . . . I do nothing to try to lower my air consumption. It's already pretty low. I just breathe how I breathe, and I don't get headaches. The only reason I've gotten into this fixation on it was to try to figure out whether the 72s would do long term, or whether I was eventually going to want bigger doubles in order to get two dives out of them on a regular basis.

From your base number, typical dive....

Typical dive is 53 cf +/-
144-53= 91 ending first dive
91-53= 38 ending second dive, same profile.
38 cf reserve enough for depth of second dive?

btw, I love to crunch the numbers too. :D and nice SAC, dang little women :14: the wife dives 63's to my 80s!

TSandM:
Give enough time most folks always want (more / bigger / faster / longer / superlative of your choice)<G>.

TSandM:
As some of you know, my husband and I have been engaged in an ongoing wrangle about air-integrated gauges versus analog SPGs. As I was chewing on a gas consumption issue that was coming out differently depending on how I went to solve it, my husband opined that the real problem was that I couldn't accurately read my SPG. He felt I was probably several hundred psi off in my measurement of starting and ending pressures. His feeling was that the analog gauge would be much better, because you directly read the numbers, instead of having to interpret the position of a needle.

So we decided to check it out. We measured the pressure in seven different cylinders, ranging from 600 to 3500 psi, with each of the gauges. I read the SPG the way I would normally do during a dive (rounding to the closest 100 psi) and also as accurately as I could do it, with no rounding. The air-integrated unit was my husband's Suunto Cobra.

The results surprised both of us. The furthest apart the two measurements were was 70 psi, and that was on one of my rounding readings (on that tank, the "best" reading was only 19 psi off the Cobra). The closest I got was 6 psi.

Although this tells us nothing about which gauge is more ACCURATE, it does tell us that the results of using those gauges are quite consistent, and the issue I was having with the original problem is most likely NOT due to my inability to read my gauge accurately.

Thought this was interesting enough to share.

well, I was on a boat a couple of weekends ago and surfaced to hear moans of "zero psi man, zero darned psi" as a disgruntled AI user had had to surface immediately on descending as some battery in some bizarre component of his air integration had gone south and his "SPG" was telling him he had no gas left.

TS&M: Thanks for the thread. It has been educational.

By the way when I was in the Keys last Spring I saw a couple swimming by. He was wearing double 120s and she was wearing a single 120. He was about 200-220# and she was about half that. That kind of thing isn't at all unusual. Glad to see your mathematical analysis supporting that assessment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom