Air integrated vs. SPG, a small study

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.41 seems right Lynne. I'm generally in the .35 to .4 range in warm water.

Aren't the only two choices here either the Suunto average depth figure is incorrect or you are incorrect in the air used figures?

It appears that your true SAC rate is lower than the numbers you've come up with.

On your next dive maybe you could do a timed swim thus eliminating the initial cooling off of the tank and the initial air used in your wing and drysuit. Stay at one depth and you don't even need to rely on the Suunto average depth number.

Through several dives and the process of elimination you can figure out the problem.

The hour time in the second calculation for
the 72s, Is that how long the dive with the 95 was?
If not, I think you aren't comparing apples to apples.

Ignoring all effects due to temperatures, and assuming
the average depth is correct.

If I look at your first example, either your SAC is much lower
or you are not under water for an hour.

Assuming your .45 SAC is accurate, then
If I used your
AVG depth = 46 = 2.3939 ATA
SAC = .45 cuFT/Min
1500 PSi = 53 cuFt

Time = 53 / .45 / 2.39 = around 49 minutes

There seems to enough gas for two 49 minute dives using
the double 72s and your SAC of .45

The other alternative is that the hour time is correct.
If so the SAC rate is wrong.

Same assumptions:
SAC = 53/60 / 2.39 = .37 cuFT/min

I am unable to use the same assumed parameters used for
the calculation with the 72s and get the measured results
you have for the dive with the 95.

------------
There seem to several "about"s, and "typical"s used in the 72
calculation projections. Perhaps, the combination of all
the accuracy deviations and rounding along with an unaccounted
factor (temperature) is creating a final result that doesn't
seem to make sense.
In other words the result is a very precise yet inaccurate answer.

--- bill

Very carefully measured dive in the 95 last night gave a SAC of .35. It was a simple dive, and I'm pretty good on air consumption, but I simply can't believe it's that low. Starting pressure was measured at the surface, air temp approximately 75 degrees; ending pressure was noted after the dive, and confirmed this morning, air temp approx. 55 (so should have made delta P as great as possible). Time and average depth were taken off the Vytek I was wearing. Something's just screwy!

I don't understand why you cannot believe it is that low? You're a small woman.

I can get .45 on a good day and I weigh about 200#.

I guess because when I read the ranges people quote, numbers below .4 seem to occur almost exclusively in warm water diving.

TSandM:
I guess because when I read the ranges people quote, numbers below .4 seem to occur almost exclusively in warm water diving.

Well, you either need to be female or Uncle Pug to get below .4 up here...

runamonk:
While I would love to use an air integrated computer, the thought really scares the crap out of me.

See I'm a programmer by trade so I know that people make mistakes, no matter how good the coder, something always sneaks through that didn't get thought about. I don't want to be the guy who finds the weird occurance at 90' LOL.
Because of the limited space and power available, and the amount of testing and reveiw that happens before a device goes into production, small device-embedded systems tend to be much more stable than general purpose PCs.

When was the last time your microwave oven or car stopped because of a software failure? I have much more trust in my SmartCom than I do in my PC.

In any event, recreational dive computers aren't marketed for deco dives, so if your computer dies, just end the dive.

Terry

We haven't actually met Lynn but I saw you in the parking lot last night. Marc is a buddy of mine and I believe you two were in the same group. You are a very small woman. I can believe .35 for a normal, calm dive. You're the doctor but I have to believe that your body's need for oxygen must be dramatically less than mine at 6'1".

In calm conditions on a timed dive I've measured .45.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom