Air Integrated safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fabitolindo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Air Integrated computers really apeal me. Just thinking about getting rid of that big gauge... On the other hand, eletronics and water don´t mix very well and it´s still hard to trust your life in an equipment like this.

How safe is an Air Integrated computer? Do you know any stories of failures? accidents? How often do they break during the dive?

Thanks,

Fabito

done about 80 dives on mine and never had a problem. People tell me the transmitter doesn't work in wrecks but always worked for me. Like any computer I guess it will go wrong eventually but then my SPG has already gone, so one up to the computer so far......

Jonathan

Hi,

I wasn´t even thinking about wireless computers... What I meant was computers like the Cobra. I wouldn´t be able to trust wireless computers controling my air...

Fabito

with no horror stories to tell! I haven't heard of any others either!I do believe that the solid state electronics is probably more stable than the wimpy needle in an SPG. I have seen one of those come apart... just this past Friday too! The needle fell off of the pivot. Two weeks ago, I saw a depth guage crap out. Oil all over the place! Too bad, so sad!

I'd trust a sloid state electronic sensor with no moving parts far more than a bent piece of tube driving a small needle through a very small set of gears. JM2C

I trust the electronics more than the analog gauges as well...
After all, electronics has been in all sorts of hazardous environments for a very long time (space, military, industrial settings, nuclear power plant, etc.); since this things are considered life support I'm sure the design guidelines and testing that they follow are quite stringent. Doing otherwise would not be a good idea in case of a lawsuit....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom