Air Integrated or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reality check on the AI issue. I have one and I also have the SPG on the hose. I have never had a failure with my AI. However, I have made the mistake of either not remembering to sync the computer with the tank transmitter when I turned on the tank and geared up. Or, I have waited to long to gear up and walked away to help someone gear up and blew the sync.

Either way, by having the SPG it was no big deal because I had a reliable source of info on my air.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Over 400 dives on the Suunto Vytec - would never, ever go back to using anything else. Big numbers, versatile, reliable, tough, perfect.

I have an SPG I dive with, but I never look at it. I use it for drills, and its mostly there for the benefit of my buddy (sidle up next to me and take a peek at what I have left....)

Gas on the dashboard... as it should be. I can't imagine diving with a wrist mounted gauge and knowing everything except how much gas is in the can. I mean, c'mon. You know the temperature with a glance at your wrist, but not how much gas you have left??? What is that about? :rolleyes:

My Oceanic data trans brick sucked. Lost synch all the time. It never happens with the Vytec. And if you don't have the casheesh now, get a Vytec without the transmitter. The transmitters show up on eBay often.

---
Ken

My first purchase after getting certified and doing lots of research here on the SB was the Cobra. I hurried home and broke out the manual, and on the first page was a big long thing that basically said if you drown because you relied on this computer, it's not our fault. I wish I had taken it back. Now that I'm a seasoned veteran of 25 dives, I've ordered the Oceanic VT Pro and a SPG. Big numbers, lots of info, and backup.

To each his own. Anyone want to buy a Cobra?

HarryWhisman:
My first purchase after getting certified and doing lots of research here on the SB was the Cobra. I hurried home and broke out the manual, and on the first page was a big long thing that basically said if you drown because you relied on this computer, it's not our fault. I wish I had taken it back. Now that I'm a seasoned veteran of 25 dives, I've ordered the Oceanic VT Pro and a SPG. Big numbers, lots of info, and backup.

I think you will find all computer manuals will say the same thing. This does not make the computer any less usefull.

I personaly like my cobra after using a couple of non AI units. I would not use a wrist mounted unit as I like putting my hands in holes to pull out bugs and Im sure this would get a wrist mounted comp all scratched up real quick. Although I do see the benifits of 1 less hose off your reg set up.

My first dive computer was a oceanic AI hose dive computer. It was the best piece of equipment I had bought in years. It dragged in the sand and everything else for a while then I attached it to my BC. Several years later I had trouble reading the face and decide to up grade to hoseless. I admit I was a little worried at first about losing data but wanted to just give it a try. I bought the scuba pro Aladdin Air 2. To this day it still works perfectly. Batteries have been changed by Scuba Pro and every time I get it back, it always has a new face on it. With twenty years of diving the two best things which have evolved is dive computers and nitrox! I swear by the hoseless computer.

HarryWhisman:
I hurried home and broke out the manual, and on the first page was a big long thing that basically said if you drown because you relied on this computer, it's not our fault. I wish I had taken it back.

LOL!

Guess you never read the manuals on your BCD, regs, mask, finds, snorkle, defog, tanks, weight belt, or the disclaimers you signed when you took a course or went diving with a dive operator. (Or ever went skiing, to a ball game, drove a car, rode a bike, used a lawn mower, drilled a hole with a power tool, or even ever made toast.)

:D

HarryWhisman:

400 Dives on my Old Eon. Love intergrated. Numbers are hard to read now. What do you want for the Cobra. :D

I like the back-up of an SPG with the AI .....yep, I too have lost "sync" due to wondering and forgetfulness but always have the SPG there.

Back
Top Bottom