Air integrated computer and a pressure gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wireless AI computers are some kind of voodoo. Two batteries that can fail, transmitter can be torn off, loosing signals. Sounds like a SPG is not just a good idea but required. Then again if you need a SPG why go wireless in the first place.

wireless AI computers are some kind of voodoo. Two batteries that can fail, transmitter can be torn off, loosing signals. Sounds like a SPG is not just a good idea but required. Then again if you need a SPG why go wireless in the first place.

while I agree that there are two batteries that can fail, among other things, the SPG can be torn off just as easily as the transmitter, which I wouldn't consider to be all that easy.

I replied earlier but I think I need to add some more information.

My dive buddy and I each use a Uwatec Luna. I use an SPG as a backup, she does not. I can read her pressure and she can read my pressure if we stay within 5 feet of each other. That doesn't mean we stay within 5 feet of each other all the time but it is a reminder to me that if I cannot read her pressure then my pony tank is too far away in case of an emergency. :D

It also calculates my Remaining Bottom Time as well as NDL during the dive. I can actually modify my dive if my RBT is too low (e.g., stop fighting current, ascend over a coral head instead of going in a swim-through, slow down).

I like the data that I can download after my dives. The Luna will report max and average air consumption which I can then chart to see if I'm getting better or worse with my air consumption as I tend to be an air hog.

I've never had a problem with people grabbing my transmitter as I keep my first stage below the valve handle instead of above.

I can also use my Luna with a heart rate monitor and with multiple cylinders if I want to purchase more transmitters. I really like it but as a long-time IT professional, I know to never trust any electronic single point of failure. Yes, I dive with a back up computer too!

Right. Look at this picture.
Please tell me why someone would pick up a double set from my transmittor.
Please tell me how it will hit on the roof of a cave and get broken off.
Please tell me how it will be a tangle hazzard.
Please tell me why when I did fundies, I had to change my SPG because it was pissing air out the back.

02042011457.jpg

Last edited:
It also calculates my Remaining Bottom Time as well as NDL during the dive. I can actually modify my dive if my RBT is too low (e.g., stop fighting current, ascend over a coral head instead of going in a swim-through, slow down).

Be very careful here. AI computer calculate remaining dive time according to only diver's air supply. If you go by that calculation, if your buddy needs air share right at where the computer remaining bottom time = 0, you two will not have enough air to ascent with safe profile and with necessary safety stop.

Be very careful here. AI computer calculate remaining dive time according to only diver's air supply. If you go by that calculation, if your buddy needs air share right at where the computer remaining bottom time = 0, you two will not have enough air to ascent with safe profile and with necessary safety stop.

There is a word for that post but my thread will get pulled.

If you look at the AI computers, it will ask what reserve you require. This is either your PADI 50bar when you surface, or as for my missus and me, if we do a 30m dive, we need 80bar reserve in her tanks and 50bar reserve in my tanks to get each other to the surface. So we tap 80bar reserve into the computer and it will calculate the remaining bottom time with the calculations to get you AND your buddy to the surface safetly.
It will even alter the bottom time if you are stressed and breathing heavy.

Thought I would change this last paragraph as you are a GUE diver.
I dive a 300bar double 10
My missus dive 300bar 7s
30mins at 30m on 32%. (ish) agreed
That then rounds to about 50bar in my 10s and 80bar in the 7s

So I set the reserve on my Galileo to 80bar. It will then work out everything, including deep stops and adjustments for workload. This will backup my run times I do before I dive but will give me more time on the bottom.

Personally I like to have a console with a pressure/depth gauge on it, and a watch with the bezel set before I dive.
Old school redundancy, yes, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom