Air integrated computer and a pressure gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrohnaMO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are looking into buying air integrated computers, and my question is! Do you, or should you, only rely on the computer for your pressure gauge or should you have a pressure gauge as a back up or are the computers that accurate?
Thanks

I can't think of many divers that I have seen who dive AI computers and SPGs at the same time. A few years ago I sucked my tank dry - my AI computer gave me a correct read-out to zero pressure.

Edit: my post above referred to an AI computer (connected to the HP port with a hose), not a hoseless AI computer.

Last edited:
I use a brass & glass SPG as backup for my wrist AI computer.

So far, no issues, except for when I was using a scooter and it interfered with the transmission/reception of the AI computer. It was good to have the SPG.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AI is more accurate but also more prone to failure (drops connection but from my exp it is rare)

Diving with both is a good idea if you have 2 HP ports.

AI is more accurate but also more prone to failure (drops connection but from my exp it is rare)

Diving with both is a good idea if you have 2 HP ports.

I wouldn't go so far as to say an AI computer is more accurate, but it is more precise.

My Suunto Vyper Air has lost its paring with the sending unit on more than one occasion, sometimes even when it was working fine on the first dive. So, I have a brass and glass spg clipped off on my left side, just in case. I generally use the AI computer to monitor my air supply out of convenience (especially when carrying a stage bottle on my left side)

I've had my Uwatec Luna lose connection a few times so I use an SPG clipped off on my left side.

It turns out that if you're at 15 feet and doing a buoyancy check by emptying your tank and you purge too much air too fast, it will lose connection. Also, if you get below 200 psi, it will stop working. Also, if you use strobe lights for your camera, it will sometimes interfere with the connection. I really like my Luna but it's nice to have a backup.

I see problems with them fairly regularly. Enough for me to not recommend them to divers. They really blow when you're about to jump in the water and someone says "Hey, what the....."

IMO they're bling.

I see problems with them fairly regularly. Enough for me to not recommend them to divers. They really blow when you're about to jump in the water and someone says "Hey, what the....."

IMO they're bling.

I agree, they are bling. In hindsight, I could have saved a few hundred on my computer and spent an extra day or two in Mexico on my last trip :)

Do you, or should you, only rely on the computer for your pressure gauge or should you have a pressure gauge as a back up or are the computers that accurate?
When I first read the question, I immediately thought of wireless air integration, but also realize that you may be referring to 'hosed' air integration. The responses might be different according to which configuration you are asking about.

There are different schools of thought on the question of gas pressure redundancy, and air integration, and wireless air integration, and more than a few SB threads on the subject, which might give you a broader perspective (e.g. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...22654-gas-pressure-indication-redundancy.html), so a search using terms as simple as 'SPG AI failure' will yield a lot of information. There are some on SB who say that they see more failures with SPGs than with wireless AI computers / transmitters. That hasn't been my experience but I can't challenge theirs.

I am one who dives with both (SPG and wireless air integration), much of the time. I dive with a SPG ALL of the time (so, that is my 'gold standard'). When I use my singles reg with a transmitter, or remember to switch the transmitter to my BM doubles reg set, I also dive with a transmitter and AI computer, for the convenience. I have never used a 'hosed' air-integrated computer, but would view one as equivalent to a 'brass and glass' SPG, and would not feel the need for a back-up (unless I was solo diving).

For most recreational diving, it really doesn't matter. If you are diving with only one or the other, you should be monitoring your SPG or computer (with wireless integration) with regularity and if it stops functioning, you generally thumb the dive. Of course, ideally, if you plan your dive appropriately, and stick to the plan, and know what your air consumption is, a gas pressure measurement device is only a back-up anyway, and you should have a good sense of when to turn the dive based on time and depth as outined in your dive plan. But, while I accept that as an ideal state, it is not the reality in most recreational diving.

If you are diving with both, and one fails, you continue.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom