Question Air Hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with all the "nos". Then again, how comfortable would it be for 2 people to be swimming around connected by an octo?

As long as both divers save enough reserve, I see no real issue with it from a safety standpoint. In fact, if the buddy team frequently shares air and are comfortable with it, then if/when a true emergency occurs, they are more likely to be able to handle it without problems.

I was on a dive about 6 weeks ago with a dive instructor and she was VERY conservative with her gas reserves. I had a larger steel tank and also a pony bottle. On a dive to 85 feet to look at some goliath grouper, we got close together and just hung onto the wreck in the current and remained still to allow the jewfish to move in around us. A cool dive.

I offered her my primary reg and I used the Air 2 for 4-5 minutes. I had way more air than I needed, we got to extend the dive to the No Deco limits, and she was able to preserve like 1000 psi (or something like that in her 80 tank). She needed to preserve that much air to feel comfortable ascending with. Not a big deal and I really see no safety concerns.

Not bad we like to hold hands while we dive. :)
That's awesome!

So, you started this thread, but have pushed back on some of the advice being given. What do YOU see as the problem currently? What are your ideas to solve it?

Sweet. That is hard to improve.

Who is the usual leader in your dives, you or your wife?
Wife is, she’s a better diver and has more experience.

Say if we do a 90 foot dive I’m up on the boat with 500psi and she has 1200psi.

That's awesome!

So, you started this thread, but have pushed back on some of the advice being given. What do YOU see as the problem currently? What are your ideas to solve it?
No I get it a bigger tank, better SAC rate, she’s probably more relaxed than I am, but because she’s a female I just don’t think I’d ever get to her level of gas consumption. So I was just wondering what others do with uneven partner gas consumption.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom