Air fills in Nitrox Marked Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As my local shop says, these days even if a cylinder has a nitrox wrap, it may not be a nitrox cylinder. It may not be O2 cleaned, it may be cleaned but filled with air, etc. They go by whether the cylinder has an O2 clean sticker, which is distinct from a non-O2 clean sticker.

It seems the history is that folks were freaked out about filling the cylinders with the wrong gas, but that these days it's not really a concern, or that the fears never really came to fruition. There are also concerns about the big stickers concealing damage or even causing damage that they then conceal.

I dig the "not your tank" wrap, though.

You all do realize that a "properly done" vip requires the removal of all stickers as they can hide damage...

So, yearly you would need new NITROX stickers...

You all do realize that a "properly done" vip requires the removal of all stickers as they can hide damage...

Then how to explain clearly older tanks with all sorts of stickers on them memorializing all sorts of travel locations, clubs, shops, and brands, both past and present? How about painted tanks?

Then how to explain clearly older tanks with all sorts of stickers on them memorializing all sorts of travel locations, clubs, shops, and brands, both past and present? How about painted tanks?
Sub-standard VIPs.

Is that for real? I just got 2 tanks back from hydro last week the old VIP sticker still on it and a new one.
VIP used to stand for Visual Internal Protection internal being the focus so how does a non required by statue/regulation VIP include the external? Seems another shop to shop thing to me.

VIP = Visual Inspection Program, and always has.
Stickers are removed to allow seeing tank damage that has been covered up.

SDI/TDI will say it stands for Visual Inspection Procedure. Either way it covers both internal and external condition.

SDI/TDI will say it stands for Visual Inspection Procedure. Either way it covers both internal and external condition.

Ok, regardless, there are no real enforceable standards outside of DOT required VT at hydro, if there is such a thing. The yearly VIP is not required by law or regulation(s) with the force of law so therefore "flexible".
I have my own VIP stickers I put on my tanks to remind me to look inside my tanks every year. Who's enforcing that? Can I expect a knock on my door from DOT inspectors?
I fill my own tanks, by DOT regulations all I need is a 5 year hydro test if I want to transport them on the roads, no more. The rest is made up as we go along.

Ok, regardless, there are no real enforceable standards outside of DOT required VT at hydro, if there is such a thing. The yearly VIP is not required by law or regulation(s) with the force of law so therefore "flexible".
I have my own VIP stickers I put on my tanks to remind me to look inside my tanks every year. Who's enforcing that? Can I expect a knock on my door from DOT inspectors?
I fill my own tanks, by DOT regulations all I need is a 5 year hydro test if I want to transport them on the roads, no more. The rest is made up as we go along.

DOT/TC (Transport Canada) concern is that the transport of the tanks in public spaces is safe. So as long as you are in hydro you can transport. If you keep the tanks on your private property all the time and dive your private lake I think even those regulations fo not apply. VIP is really the industry agreement. Shops rely on the process to fill your tanks. If you fill your own tanks and no one else uses them I think you do not have to do any VIP if you so chose. Otherwise its the shops decision as they own the compressor.

This is my understanding of this framework, I could of cause be wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom