Air Fills - How Much Are You Paying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMDavid, I am suprised, that you being a Divemaster, having to pay for air fills. The shop I DM for, I don't have to pay for air or nitrox fills. But I don't get paid for helping with classes either. The DM's get free air and nitrox and a very good discount on gear.

When I have worked directly for a shop as a DM I have not been charged, but at present my status as a DM is inactive so I pay like everyone else.

Posted from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I paid $8 for a high pressure fill (3442) at the Aquarius II shop at the Monterey California breakwater this week and got 2700psi. :censored:
I haven't used that shop yet, but I've taken to pointing out to fill staff that my tanks are HP, and asking if they can fill HP to 3500 psi. It often brings evil looks, but this has happened to me more often than not, and since some shops have taken to charging more for HP tanks, they ought to be held to delivering HP fills.

I also paid $8 for HP fills yesterday at another shop, but at least got a 3400 psi cold fill. I don't know what I'll do the day I finally see 3500 psi cold in an HP tank...

On the theme of 'careless vs dishonest', I took 4 just-hydro'ed tanks into yet another LDS a month ago - 2 HP, 1 @ 3300, and one @2400+ LP. Guess which tank got the highest fill? They were all around 3400, but the LP won by a needle's width. That time I failed to diagram the various service pressures for the staff. I'm still mulling whether it was incompetence or they thought it would be a favor!

Our local LDS has free air refills all summer.

$5 for a single tank air fill, $10 for a double tank air fill. $15 for a double or single tank nitrox fill up to EAN32 I think...

$9 for an HP air fill here... I think an LP fill is $8... +tax on both..

Our shop is $5 for air or $10 for nitrox. They also offer an air club for $125 a year and you get unlimited air fills. Even if the air club comes out to break even it is so nice to go in and get air fills and not have to worry about the money.

The shop I'm affiliated with charges $5 for air, $9 for nitrox (USD), and has discount fill cards (about 10% IIRC). I get free fills (as an instructor) but I usually do the filling myself so they're not incurring staff labor charges.

But I really replied to this thread to share my best memory associated with fill charges. It was some years ago, when the "data wants to free" meme was new and vibrant. A buddy and I were in Tacoma for a long weekend of Puget Sound shore dives. One afternoon we walked our four steel HP tanks into a local shop. When I asked the young fill attendant what the charge would be he declared "Air should be free" and didn't charge us. And filled them slowly enough to yield a full fill after cooling!

-Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom