Air consumption. .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At depth you are generally at your destination so you slow down and a little narcosis can mellow you out a bit which may improve the consumption as well.

Personally, I don't do a lot of hard swimming at depth.

I think some people take too much credit for air consumption when in reality it may have more to do with luck than some want to admit! Lung volume and efficiency may just be inherited! Fitness levels may help but can't explain it totally.

I have noticed that people who are have been involved in sports that required they develop their lungs may enjoy the benefits years later when they are no longer "fit".

What really matters it that we know enough about our air consumptions to plan our dives safely. It is a bonus when your dive buddy has similar air consumption since no one seems to want to be the one to "shorten" the dive plan. Tanks come in a big enough range of sizes that a person who uses more air can get a tank that is suitable to their needs.

I like to track my air consumption but recognize that better divers than me very often go through more air than I do :idk: doesn't say a darn thing about my skill in the water! Sure we can do a few things to reduce air consumption. IMHO bouyancy control, fining so you don't silt up the site or trash the environment and navigation are skills a person has to work on and therefor can be justifiably proud of. *rant over*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom