Air consumption and N2 uptake/DCS Risk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SquattingRadishDM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Diving Docs please explain.

Would a high air consumption increase N2 uptake? If I compare two of my dives (profiles are exactly the same) and use more air on one than the other, do I uptake more inert gas and am at more risk of DCS?

My thinking: I cant for-see that air consumption would have a direct result on N2 uptake (like depth does) as N2 is still diffusing into the tissues at the same rate as the PPN2 in the blood stays the same regardless of breathing rate. correct :06:

However there might be physiological consequences such as CO2 buildup, fatigue, stress etc that might increase the risk of DCS. I guess there is a difference between having a high air consumption because it is a stressful/hard-work dive OR the diver is just inexperienced, not relaxed or uses poor breathing technique.

So, if a diver uses more air is he/she at greater risk of DCS?

This has been gone over many times. The answer is no; the amount of N2 in the lungs is *not* the limiting factor.

Nope.
The body can process only so much Nitrogen in X amount of time.

An example, rudimentary, but analogous none the less . . .

Suppose you have a trough with a hole in the bottom.
The trough is running down hill, slightly . . .
You pour some water in the trough . . . it'll run down hill and some will spill out through the hole.
You pour a whole bunch of water in it . . . it'll run down hill but about the same amount of water will pour out of the hole.

I know that's simple, but it kinda works like that.

I'm sure there are some members of the board that can give ya a whoooooole lot better scientific explanation.

Back
Top Bottom