Air compressor for Drysuit leak test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustinLoos1985

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone used an air compressor to conduct a Drysuit leak test? Is this even possible? I have a Milwaukee air compressor.

What are you trying to do with the air compressor? Most of the time we just inflate it from the inflation valve which obviously doesn't work if you have the suit inside out. If you put a quick disconnect on one of the plugs for the wrist or neck there is no reason you can't use an air compressor to inflate it instead of a scuba tank. The IP of your regulator is going to be higher than most any air compressor

I’m trying to avoid using my scuba tank air to fill the Drysuit for a leak test. Basically to save money I would use my garage air compressor to fill the suit rather than a scuba tank.

build an adapter to go from the BC inflator to an air compressor and go. No reason not to, though if it's an oiled compressor you may want to have a dryer/filter before you go into the suit.
Easiest way to do that is to cut the first stage end off of an old BC inflator hose. Get an appropriately sized barb to NPT fitting with a hose clamp and put that on the BC hose.

I always turned it inside out, made sure it was perfectly dry, plugged the hand and neck holes and filled it with water. Any leak becomes incredibly obvious.

build an adapter to go from the BC inflator to an air compressor and go. No reason not to, though if it's an oiled compressor you may want to have a dryer/filter before you go into the suit.
Easiest way to do that is to cut the first stage end off of an old BC inflator hose. Get an appropriately sized barb to NPT fitting with a hose clamp and put that on the BC hose.

Thank you, I’ll try this.

I use plastic cups to close the wirst openings. In one of them I did a hole and installed a bike valve and I use the bike tire inflator. It's a lot of time to inflate a Drysuit, but it's like making home training.

I use plastic cups to close the wirst openings. In one of them I did a hole and installed a bike valve and I use the bike tire inflator. It's a lot of time to inflate a Drysuit, but it's like making home training.
I use balloons. I do it right side out and fill it from the regular inflator valve.

If you have a pool or large tub you can do this with out even inflating the suit. Put a bowl in the neck and block the wrists with plastic cups, zip it shut and submerge by sections. There will be enough trapped air with out inflating it to do the job.

Back
Top Bottom