Air Bubble in Crown Concern?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ojai Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I've read some of the threads on getting crowns. Most say they have had no issue, but some bring up a concern of pain caused by air bubbles.

Since I am facing my first crown next week (guess I am old now) do I have to advise the doctor, i.e., "please don't leave an air bubble in my crown"?

My dentist appears competent, but seems clueless regarding diving.

Is the air bubble thing an urban myth, or should I be concerned and advise her?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Having cemented many crowns over the past 30 years a properly fitted and properly cemented crown will have no air bubble associated with it....none....

Having said that a poorly fitted and cemented crown can cause a problem.

Probably best to give your dentist a heads up as to your concern.

One never knows until you dive? I had a root canal and crown prior to diving last December and had no issues at all.

It’s very much real thing, but most dentists seem to be competent enough to do the job correctly. Search around and you will find some stories of those that had issues underwater.

My suggestion is to talk to your dentist, and let him know your concerns. Even if your dentist is not familiar with diving, all he needs to understand is that an air pocket in the root canal or under the crown can cause you pain and or damage when going under pressure or coming back to the surface.

First welcome to getting older..lol jk .. have two crowns.. no problems.. I would just let your DDS know that you scuba dive an need really good fitting crown.. an then go dive an see.

I have crowns and never have had a problem.

...//... should I be concerned and advise her? ...
Yes, but in the most benign way. For me, I said that I'm a diver and am somewhat concerned about getting a void.

That was all I needed to do to get some real fussing over my fillings/root canals. IMHO, all the 'dontists' I've ever met actually care about the work they do.

14 crowns never any diving issues. HOWEVER, take along some temporary crown cement when you go on a dive trip. My first night on a recent Cayman trip, at sea of course, one of my crowns popped off. Happily I didn't swallow it or bend it. Nor was my tooth very sensitive.

THE FOLLOWING IS NOT TO BE REGARDED AS COMPETENT MEDICAL ADVICE.

I reattached the crown with a small drop of Lok-Tite. If you use crazy glue or Lok-Tite do not apply a lot of the cement to the crown. You do not want to cement it on permanently. Your dentist will need to be able to get the crown off later for proper mounting. The crown cement sold by drug stores will seal the tooth and leaves the crown removable.
After this incident my dentist remembers me better than some of his other patients and I carry crown cement in my kit.

I'd recommend (per my own dentist) denture cement to temporarily hold loose crowns. It won't leave a gap and you don't risk damaging the crown if the dentist has to scrape it off later.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom