Air analyzer question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poomero

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I want to get an analyzer to test the air in my tank but all I am finding is ones for nitrox. Does anyone make one that is for a non nitrox tank? If so what ones have you ised and what did you like about them. I want something that will tell me that the air in the tank is good or bad.

I just want to make sure the air I breath is clean and only air. I don't want any kind of contaminants in it. I worry about stuff like that even though I have never ran into any problems. I would rather be safe then sorry.

Unless you're doing your own fills, check with your LDS and ask to see their latest certificate of analysis. You may raise an eyebrow by asking. If they don't have one, run.

You could get a test kit from Trace Analytics and test every cylinder that you use. That will take time and it's expensive.

Or you could only get your air from a shop that tests their air. The tests are usually quarterly. The test results are usually displayed near the fill station.

I trust my shop. Of course, I'm the guy who tests the air and nitrox there quarterly!

When I travel, I take two analyzers with me:
1) Analox Oxygen analyzer to know the O2 content of the cylinder.
2) Analox CO analyzer to know how much carbon monoxide is in the cylinder.

Shops that do Nitrox should have an O2 analyzer to check the O2 %. The shop may have a CO tester for testing for carbon monixide. You could get a CO tester and a O2 analyzer and those 2 would cover the 2 most common problems with air
Other than that I do not know of any practicle way of testing for impurities in tank air.
Ask to see the shops compressor logs for their testing and maintenance and filter changes.

I just want to make sure the air I breath is clean and only air. I don't want any kind of contaminants in it. I worry about stuff like that even though I have never ran into any problems. I would rather be safe then sorry.

Then this is a good start Minimize your risk? | GLC and back it up with a CO analyser.

Back
Top Bottom