AIR 2 or Octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A DM I have worked with before has an AIR2 on his BC because the LDS he works for requires him to so students can see what's available (in other words, they have a bunch of them they can't sell). He also has a traditional octo, because he said he can't imagine being in an emergency situation and having to actually use the AIR2.

I agree with him, I think if you ever needed to use it in a stressful situation it is going to be a problem.

mossym:
i'll give you one example though, i think all those people that siwm 6 inches above the reef, dragging their octo across the reef are excellent candidates for an air2...

I disagree. My wife has an air2 on her ladyhawk. The inflator hose is so long I think it competes with a dangling octo, and this has no restraining device attached to it. She is concerned about it, but hasn't had the chance to really dive the problem yet.

If you are the kind of person to drag your equipment across the reef, the boat, the dock, the parking lot, etc. it won't matter what your configuration is.

I hate danglers. Don't let your dingle-dangle dangle in the dirt!

Wijbrandus:
I disagree. My wife has an air2 on her ladyhawk. The inflator hose is so long I think it competes with a dangling octo, and this has no restraining device attached to it. She is concerned about it, but hasn't had the chance to really dive the problem yet.

If you are the kind of person to drag your equipment across the reef, the boat, the dock, the parking lot, etc. it won't matter what your configuration is.

I hate danglers. Don't let your dingle-dangle dangle in the dirt!

when i had one it was pretty short, no way it wwould have dangled more than a couple of inches below me, no more than a standard inflator, but my bc had a strap for holding it down..

okay..seems like i've been outvoted on this one..air2 not good for replacing dangling octo..:D

Perhaps I'm overly critical. My Halcyon comes with a shorter than usual inflator hose. Maybe my perception of length has altered... :)

Either way, her backup regulator is dangling farther from her torso than I would consider prudent. It's something she will deal with in time, but she usually maintains the "magic meter" quite well. (Three feet or more from the reef at any time.)

Boogie711:
Why is one less hose considered "an advantage????"

If it were an advantage, why wouldn't you consider a completely hoseless reg set? -

Hoses are failure points. Reducing or eliminating failure points is good.

But substituting one failure point for another may not be good. And consolidating failure points may also be a step in the wrong direction.

That said, the probability of failure associated with a hose as well as that associated with an Air2 are quite low and of little consequence to a recreational diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom