AIR 2 or Octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Restart

Contributor
Reaction score
Is AIR 2 / Air Inflator Regulator, a DIR gear?

What is the Advantages & Disadvantages of the AIR compares to the Octopus?

Thank You. :10:

wouldn't think it's DIR somehow.

Advantage: one less hose, very streamlined
Disadvantage: more difficult to use, you have to use it to adjust bouyancy while you breath from it,

i had one, but now i've got a standard octo, but i do know a lot of people that swear by them,

i like my air 2 because its less crap i hade hanging from me, but i am considering goin to a standard octo for my technical diving

Diesel298:
i like my air 2 because its less crap i hade hanging from me, but i am considering goin to a standard octo for my technical diving

not much consideration involved i think, most tech is doubles, which means you'll have 2 regs anyway, no need for an air2

I agree entirely with what's been said above. I have an Air 2 on my recreational equipment as it's one less hose to deal with, but in practicing air-sharing ascents with students, it is much more difficult to control buoyancy than with a separate octo and BC inflator.

Boogie711:
Why is one less hose considered "an advantage????"

If it were an advantage, why wouldn't you consider a completely hoseless reg set? -

:wink: i'd seen that one before..

when i was diving a wetsuit, the less hoses i had seemed better to me, now that i'm in a drysuit and looking at doubles it doesn't seem relevant anymore..so i see your point..

i'll give you one example though, i think all those people that siwm 6 inches above the reef, dragging their octo across the reef are excellent candidates for an air2...

mossym:
:wink: i'd seen that one before..

when i was diving a wetsuit, the less hoses i had seemed better to me, now that i'm in a drysuit and looking at doubles it doesn't seem relevant anymore..so i see your point..

i'll give you one example though, i think all those people that siwm 6 inches above the reef, dragging their octo across the reef are excellent candidates for an air2...

I disagree - I don't think you can substitute equipment for skill.

i agree, but i don't think that's a skill or lack of, i think it's blatant disregard..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom