AI computer, false high pressure reading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gopbroek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Recently I picked up a used a Sherwood Wisdom (DOM 08/06) with a quick disconnect. I was very happy with it until in the middle of my second trip to CZM (about 20 dives with the unit) while on the way to the dive site I pulled out my computer and discovered the displayed pressure had ‘locked’ up and was displaying 2800 PSI while unattached to a bottle. I was able to switch to an analog SPG and use a barrowed computer to finish the dive trip.
Over the next 2 months I watched the pressure slowly bleed off to about 1500 PSI. I then started to suspect that the quick disconnect port had been fouled by a contaminate and caused a blockage within the computer near the pressure sensor. I had not been capping either end of quick disconnect when I would remove the unit at the end of each day so it could be anything from salt to lint to a bug from the hotel room.
With nothing to lose I inverted it and put a couple drops isopropyl alcohol down the fitting and let it sit. This morning, a month later I was attaching an analog console to my regulator and remembered the ‘dead’ Wisdom and hooked it to a bottle to see if it cleared, it has and it now works fine. I plan to run it in parallel with the analog console and use a separate computer on my next trip to see if it remains ‘cleared’.
Has anyone else heard of blockages or contamination (or any other malfunction) causing a Sherwood Wisdom (or any other AI computer) to lock to a false high pressure reading? In the middle of a dive this could be a bad thing.

Yes, it happens. Often the pressure transducer goes belly up. Many people do not rinse their gear very well. I typically soak my computers in warn water for at least an hour or more after a dive trip. That helps with dissolving mineral deposits which can cause problems. The alcohol you used may have done that with your computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom