Agamemnon Channel - Power Lines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slamfire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A few friends did this dive a few days ago. They posted this video in Facebook. I thought you guys would enjoy it here. I think the clip summarizes pretty well how deep dives around here can be. You can see how the video progresses chronologically with the dive. Note the changes in light, flora and fauna as the divers ascend. Often times I get asked, "why do you go deep? the good stuff is at the top anyways." Well, you get to see things you don't see near the top, plus you also get to spend a good amount of time at the top while decompressing and after, if you so choose to keep enjoying the dive while adding conservatism.

[vimeo]15210778[/vimeo]

Fun video -- what a perfect technical dive, to go deep to see the cloud sponges and the gorgonians, and then your long deco up a pretty wall!

Agamemnon Channel was one of the reasons I got my tech cert, and is still on my to-do list.

One question, if you know the answer to it -- the MOD on the 80 is obscured by the top band (something that wouldn't have made me happy as a teammate :) ). Were they carrying a 120 bottle, or a stage of bottom mix? It almost has to be the former, I think, but that seems unusual for a 170 max dive. Or maybe I'm confused -- that's above my pay grade, anyway. One bottle is my limit.

I honestly don't know the answers. I was not on that dive. Todd and Kat where there. According to the video, the dive buddy is Jim Sergeant. I am acquainted with him. I think I personally met him once, but I mostly know him by reputation -- an experienced, mature diver. He's been diving for a while and graduated from UTD Tech 2 a few months ago, along with one of my more regular dive buddies.

I'm going to assume it's a 190'(?) stage bottle. I can't see using a 120' bottle on such a dive (certainly not before adding O2). I can definitely see using a stage if you're hoping to get another dive off those doubles later.

That said, yeah, covering up the middle number on the MOD label isn't a great idea. Would sort of suck if that's a 100' (or 120') bottle being used as a stage at 170. :)

Gorgeous video, though. Where exactly is this?

Gorgeous video, though. Where exactly is this?

If I'm not mistaken, it's here: 49°42'7.88"N, 124° 4'12.71"W. In the satellite shot you can see the power lines going over the water. It's just north of there, at the point.

Thanks. This is done as a boat dive? Certainly doesn't look like you could enter off that point (no obvious access).

Those sponges are really alien looking. Can't think of anything down here that looks like that. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, it is a boat dive. Around here you start seeing the sponges around 70-80'. But they are usually small at that depth. As you go deeper, you see bigger ones -- sometimes the size of a small car. Normally you see them sticking out of a rock wall, but they also form bioherms. Check this post to read about the bioherms.

Rainer, you should do a road trip to the PNW one of these days! Cloud sponges are always deep, but I know where we can find them in spots less current-sensitive than Agamemnon Channel :)

Rainer, you should do a road trip to the PNW one of these days! Cloud sponges are always deep, but I know where we can find them in spots less current-sensitive than Agamemnon Channel :)
I can't recall ever being concerned with current issues in Agamamnon and I've been there several times.

Have to add that the powerlines dive is one of my favourites in BC. I'm a sucker for gorgonians.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom