After 23 days in Fiji, I need a vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
During February 19-29 2016, Severe Tropical Cyclone Winston hit Fiji, including the areas we dived last month. It was the most intense tropical cyclone in the Southern Hemisphere on record, reducing the once lush reefs to rubble. The corals and fish have made a strong comeback, but six years of growth is a long way from what the area once was.

Some reefs have areas where soft coral is found in isolated patches, while others have individual corals spread around. The upper sections of most reefs were covered by the heartier hard coral, which survived the cyclone a bit more.

Currents, surface conditions, and lack of soft coral allowed me time to rest on the sun deck and enjoy the solitude of the South Pacific. During the dives I did make, I had to search for photo subjects. We dived a manta cleaning station twice, but the rays never showed.

We spent over three weeks in Fiji, enjoying the warm (and not humid) climate and friendly locals. Guests aboard the Nai'a liveaboard during out first week included friends from Seattle and the Central California coast. It was a nice, relaxing vacation. The next week's guest were quite...rambunctious is a good word. Loud cheers and goat impressions were heard non-stop throughout the boat for ten days.

One guest arrived with a cold, which two others caught, including me. For over a week, I had a pounding sinus headache. The goat impressions didn't help. I hope to be fully recovered in a few days, at which time my attitude toward the trip will likely improve.

Photos at After 23 days in Fiji, I need a vacation

During February 19-29 2016, Severe Tropical Cyclone Winston hit Fiji, including the areas we dived last month. It was the most intense tropical cyclone in the Southern Hemisphere on record, reducing the once lush reefs to rubble. The corals and fish have made a strong comeback, but six years of growth is a long way from what the area once was.

Some reefs have areas where soft coral is found in isolated patches, while others have individual corals spread around. The upper sections of most reefs were covered by the heartier hard coral, which survived the cyclone a bit more.

Currents, surface conditions, and lack of soft coral allowed me time to rest on the sun deck and enjoy the solitude of the South Pacific. During the dives I did make, I had to search for photo subjects. We dived a manta cleaning station twice, but the rays never showed.

We spent over three weeks in Fiji, enjoying the warm (and not humid) climate and friendly locals. Guests aboard the Nai'a liveaboard during out first week included friends from Seattle and the Central California coast. It was a nice, relaxing vacation. The next week's guest were quite...rambunctious is a good word. Loud cheers and goat impressions were heard non-stop throughout the boat for ten days.

One guest arrived with a cold, which two others caught, including me. For over a week, I had a pounding sinus headache. The goat impressions didn't help. I hope to be fully recovered in a few days, at which time my attitude toward the trip will likely improve.

Photos at After 23 days in Fiji, I need a vacation
Poor baby!! God’s Pocket in April?

Tasmanians have been known to be a bit touchy about things like being left off the map of Australia, Does Australia/Tasmania mean you will be in Tasmania or Australia and Tasmania 😁😁😁

Enjoy Tasmania, it is a really lovely place, the water will be damned cold compared to Fiji. The temperature in Northern Bass Strait is 14C or about 57F at the moment. Just a hint, don’t tell Tasmanians you have been to Australia, tell them you have been to Sydney or Cairns on your way to Tasmania. They hate people thinking they are not part of Australia.

Hi @Merry and @MaxBottomtime Those photos are gorgeous: amazing colour and clarity! Hope you recover soon from your cold, Phil. Took me a while to get over the jet lag.
I thoroughly enjoyed our 1st group on the Naia. Hope we can dive together in the future: I promise, no goat impressions.:wink:

Hugs from Canada.

Enjoy Tasmania, it is a really lovely place, the water will be damned cold compared to Fiji. The temperature in Northern Bass Strait is 14C or about 57F at the moment. Just a hint, don’t tell Tasmanians you have been to Australia, tell them you have been to Sydney or Cairns on your way to Tasmania. They hate people thinking they are not part of Australia.
We had to cancel the Tasmania portion of the trip. We didn't realize when we signed up that the boats from Eaglehawk Dive Centre are too small for divers with DSLR housings, and there is no way Merry can spend 5-6 hours on a boat without a head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom