Affordable reg for rec diver who wants to keep cold water options open?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll soon be OW certified and I am gear shopping. I live in Seattle and will be diving around here as well as in warmer waters on vacation.

I am looking for a reg that is at least an OK breather, but is also really sturdy and suitable for cold water. I don't want to have to worry about my gear if I end up diving below say 45F. (I doubt I would ever be diving in the 30's but if that's the kind of thing I can support with a small additional investment, great.)

My choices so far--assuming I understand the products' limitations--are the Aeris Atmos Pro and the Mares Proton Ice. I am hoping there is something that will do the trick for below $300, so I am interested in the Aeris more than the Mares.

I know there are a lot of Zeagle fans around here, but from what I read on the board the Envoy isn't rated for cold water. (I also got the impression, perhaps falsely, that the zx-50d is a maintenance hog.)

I will also need an octo that can handle cold water. Will an inexpensive one like the Mares Brigade handle cold water well enough to surface safely? How about those BCD inflator/octo combos?

TIA for your help.

I'd say your best bet is a Dive-Rite RG2500, with its Cold Water Kit. Affordable, easy to service, great breather, and i have had atomic regs freez up while mine breathing easy.

I bought the Dive Rite RG2500ICE for the same reasons. You might also consider the Apeks DS4/ATX40 combo.

Don't think you are going to get it done sub $300 though unless you go used.

PerroneFord:
I bought the Dive Rite RG2500ICE for the same reasons. You might also consider the Apeks DS4/ATX40 combo.

I have an amazing sale on those regulators right now. Dive Rite will not allow me to state the price on the board, but a simply phone call will get all of the details. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

PerroneFord:

I own an Apeks not a Dive Rite but agree with PerroneFord.

If a "gray market" is not an issue for you, you can get Aqualung Legend at LeisurePro for $300.

How deep are you diving?

If you have no plans to go real deep (recreational only) The Apex DST/*TX40 and egress octo would suit you fine. I use an egress here in Puget Sound with no issues.

If you think you might be interested in getting into deeper, technical or wreck diving look into a DS4/DST and *TX50 or higher. The 50-200 models have inhalation control in addition to the venturi control (which means they breath easier at deeper depths, in current or when you're working harder).

Apex regs are all pretty much the same. The TX, ATX and XTX lines are mechanically the same except for cosmetic changes and the XTX line has the option of mounting the hose on the left side. The 40-200 models are all the same mechanically, but they get slightly smaller as the model number gets higher. In short; an ATX40 will breath exactly the same as a similarly tuned XTX200.

We have a sherwood Blizzard that is new. Old stock about 3 yrs old but it has never been wet. 279.00 plus shipping which should be around 15 bucks depending on your zip. PM me if interested.

laivindil:
Apex regs are all pretty much the same. The TX, ATX and XTX lines are mechanically the same except for cosmetic changes and the XTX line has the option of mounting the hose on the left side. The 40-200 models are all the same mechanically, but they get slightly smaller as the model number gets higher. In short; an ATX40 will breath exactly the same as a similarly tuned XTX200.

Might want to explain that 1/2" vs 3/8" hose issue...

laivindil:
The 40-200 models are all the same mechanically, but they get slightly smaller as the model number gets higher.
:huh:

Just to clarify, you mean they get smaller going from TX, to ATX to XTX on the second stages, right.

Yes, as PerroneFord mentioned the ATX's first stage line has the 1/2" USF.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom