Affordable Diving near KL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miserkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi..
I'll be visiting KL Malaysia between sep and Nov this year. I'll be staying with a local friend so no need to pay accommodation!

I have done diving in Caribbean, Hawaii,
Puerto galera in philippines...boy It was great.

I plan on a day or two of diving if there are spots near KL...at least a 2 tank dive to check out! What's the most economical way to dive near to KL? I'm ok with simple shallow dives, wrecks too. How different will it be compared to PG philippines?

Thx.... Kris

Never heard about Kuantan diving though there are indeed dive centres. Might be mostly muck diving?

Most people would go to Tioman for weekend trips though the monsoon season will start during the OP's indicated 3-month stretch. Some say it will be late November but sometimes it starts later, other times it starts earlier.
September or early October should still be fairly safe weather wise.

@miserkris
All the places in Peninsular Malaysia from Perhentian Islands(Kota Bharu), Redang(Tenrengganu), Tenggol(Dungun) and Tioman(Mersing or Tanjung Gemok) are far from KL. You also need to take ferry across to Perhentian Islands, Redang and Tioman. Only Tenggol can offer daily two dives from the port of Dungun. Bumpy ride on speed boat.
Please check the diving season in Malaysia.
Too early to travel to Koh Lipe(Southern Thailand) from Langkawi.

From my own experiences, PG is so much better.

Never heard about Kuantan diving though there are indeed dive centres. Might be mostly muck diving?

Most people would go to Tioman for weekend trips though the monsoon season will start during the OP's indicated 3-month stretch. Some say it will be late November but sometimes it starts later, other times it starts earlier.
September or early October should still be fairly safe weather wise.
Yeah, no idea what the dive sites they visit are like. I was just suggesting it as the closest spot to access diving. The only dive I've done in the area is the wreck of an oil tanker, which was actually really good, but I'm not sure if any local shops go to it. It's also possible it's been salvaged since I was on it!

@miserkris
All the places in Peninsular Malaysia from Perhentian Islands(Kota Bharu), Redang(Tenrengganu), Tenggol(Dungun) and Tioman(Mersing or Tanjung Gemok) are far from KL. You also need to take ferry across to Perhentian Islands, Redang and Tioman. Only Tenggol can offer daily two dives from the port of Dungun. Bumpy ride on speed boat.
Please check the diving season in Malaysia.
Too early to travel to Koh Lipe(Southern Thailand) from Langkawi.

From my own experiences, PG is so much better.
Hello again!
Yeah PG philippines was paradise. Affordable too...

I'll be going to KL for a week to visit my brother who's there for 3 months.. he's there until mid November.. Thought I'd add a 2 tank dive somewhere.... Doesn't have to be a famous dive site but close to KL....

If a distance away from the heart of Kuala Lumpur is your main concern, then there. are some lake dives available in the vicinity of Bandar Saujana Putra. Vis is what you would expect from a lake dive; water quality is less than desirable but dive-able. A couple of operators would gladly take you but remember it is to scratch an itch, not to explore or be in awe of any beauty whatsoever.

Other options available in the past were to explore a lake in Melaka (further; about 2 hours out), or the Semenyih Reservoir. I say in the past primarily because I have had the privilege to dive there a couple of years ago, but have since been off-limits to divers.

Like others here have noted, the closest bet you have for an ocean dive would be to head to Kuantan, however, it will be a gamble as winds pick up in Nov and may not necessarily be the wisest option. If you have the time, take a drive to Lumut (about a 3-hour drive) and head to Pulau Sembilan from there (only operator I know would be a DC called Quiver that operates dives from Lumut).

Good luck on your search, would love to hear if you find any, and maybe join you if the opportunity arises.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom