Aerogel!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raineman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
If nobody has heard of this yet, it is truly amazing. You can youtube lots of videos for it. Here is a link that describes it a bit ASPEN AEROGELS | OUTDOOR GEAR, APPAREL, AND FOOTWEAR

It use to be too brittle for clothing, but some manufacturers have developed a solution for it. It has the highest R-rating for insulation and barely loses its rating when compressed. I think dive companies should start looking into this more. 3mm(a little less than 1/8th inch) is about equivalent to 40mm(a little over 1 1/2 inches) of goose down! There are two companies I know of that sell aerogel jackets to the public right now, and they are:

Shiver Shield | Warm Clothing for Cold Weather
Anti Static Clothing, SPF Shirt, Aerogel Jacket & Rock Climbing Shirt | Anser Gear

I am thinking I will buy one if they ship to Canada.

0.jpg

My understanding is that it doesn't tolerate pressure well, or at least the formulations as of a year or so ago didn't. It compresses and ends up brittle and shredding.

I love American advertising. It so wouldn't work here in England.

"Just get yourself a Shiver Shield Work™ Coat!. Going to the Game? Have to look great but you want to stay warm and make everyone around you jealous at your thermally enhanced fashion statement? Shiver Shield is the gear for you! The thermally insulated clothing is made of heavy duty 10oz. cotton duck fabric. You can work and play in either line. In fact we encourage it."

They encourage it - my decision to purchase from them has been ratified! Well, that's a relief.

Well, is it actually old news that somebody is marketing the stuff in real garments? Although I find it interesting that Anser says "Number in stock = 0", and the other company is out of jackets . . .

I have had a chance to wear one of these jackets and they are pretty remarkable. Like nothing I have ever worn before. If you do too much in them, you will be sweating like crazy. I understand they sold out what they had pretty quick, but apparently they are coming out with an updated version in fall of 2013.

I've handled and played with silica aerogel in the high energy physics department of my undergrad, and was pretty fascinated by it at the time. It is very solid but so light you can barely perceive the weight of it in your hand. It is very brittle as mentioned though. Despite the name, it isn't jelly like - more like a weightless foam. If you squeeze it it breaks apart or crumbles. I suspect it would have to be significantly modified to be useful in any application involving movement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom