Aeris Mako - Anyone own these? Or tried them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howie411

Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like a pretty decent price for some nice new fins.

http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_mako.cfm

This great new Aeris Mako Diving fin is one incredible dive fin. The Mako blades flexible center area creates a massive water channel by utilizing the entire surface area of the blade and foot pocket. The engineered channels and side rails of the Aeris Mako Dive Fin direct water flow off the tips of the fin without allowing water to "spill" off the sides of the blade and reduce power and efficiency.

I had a set when they first came out. I really liked them but after pool training and my open water dives they started to break. It was a crack that started on one of the stiffening gussets on the bottom of the fin. I took them back to the LDS and he was going to get me some new ones but when he contacted Aeris they said that they were recalling the fin due to quality issues. So he gave me credit and I bought some Blades II.

My over all impresson of the fins for the 6 dives I used them was: Good price point, pretty comfortable, light weight, had decent speed (Not quite as fast as my Blades) and the kicking effort was low (less than my Blades). If they have fixed the quality problem it may not be a bad fin.

I did notice the other day when I was in the dive shop that he had the new "redesigned" fins in stock. The part that started cracking on my fins has been removed.

Hope this helps,
Chris

I just bought these for my dry suit since the L-XL size said it had a bigger foot pocket.

They do fit - I wear a size 11 shoe normally and size 13 Chuck Taylors and the fit is fine.

BUT, I'm disappointed in the fin itself. I have some Aeris Velocity fins (not the split ones) and those are my favorites. The blade on those are wider and the center rubber piece is more flexible so it cups the water more for what feels like more power.

The Mako in contrast doesn't really cup in comparison - it just sort of pivots at the end of the foot pocket more. They'll work, but what I really wanted was simply the Velocity fins in a giant foot pocket size.

But I just found that AL Blades II have a Giant size that looks like it would fit my Taylors. Those fins feel like they would be much more like the Velocity ones I love.

I ordered some, they should be here tomorrow, hopefully they are the redesigned ones. I'll be taking my Scuba Course Mid Aug, so they should work out for me I hope.

I bought a pair in February and have used them about a dozen times since. No problems with the cracking as the previous poster said and I've been pretty pleased overall.

Safe diving!

Alex

I have the Mako Fin and have no issues at all. The only issue I have had to deal with at the shop I work at is that because the fin is so lightweight, a very small group of people had issues with their feet floating. Rather than wearing ankle weights we switched their fins to the Aeris Velocity which is a little more heavy and that solved the problem. Other than that I love my fins, great power, lightweight, big foot pocket, no cracking problems with my fins. At our shop a customer came in with a cracked fin, we sent them back to Aeris and within a couple of days they sent a replacement fin.

Have to say of all the fins I've used and sold this one is by far my favorite. Very good fin for the beginner or the advanced, great value as well. This fin is light weight so it's good for travel but has enough power for full scuba in colder waters. We have sold a huge number of these fins and only 2 fins ever have been returned. Both were replaced at the store level and did not require waiting for a return from the mfg. Our only complaint is the XS isn't small enough and there aren't any "ladies" colors. (not yet anyway) Hint Hint Aeris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom