Aeris Atmos 2 dive computer and CR2450 battery, power drain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drift6761

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi fellow divers

Recently took down my dive computer in which I had installed a new lithium battery around September 2013.

For some reason the battery indicator is reading low. What could have happened in just a few months to cause the battery indicator to display low?

I have not done any dives since I installed the new battery in September.

Should I assume the dive battery is bad and order new ones. Should I assume the dive computer is bad and draining power from any battery, and with that in mind purchase a new computer?

Any information and dive computer/battery expertise is greatly appreciated

Regards, drift6761

Pull the battery and test if the voltage is truly low. If it is, two possibilities exist. You just got a wonky battery, or there is a short which is draining the battery. Another small possibility (based on the time frame) is that there is a known wonkiness in the battery symbol on many AUP computers. Try this, take a paperclip or other conductive metal and bridge the positive and negative terminal in the battery compartment and reinstall the battery. This does a soft reset of the computer and correct the memory glitch. If it shows full, you probably solved the problem. If it's an internal short, it needs to go back to the factory. You can also have an external short in the H2O sensors. Soak the computer in a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar for about 30 minutes. This dissolves and trace sodium which might be bridging the H2O sensors and causing the computer to activate when it is not working ( a short).

I would try the soak first, then the paperclip trick. Test the battery when you do the paperclip trick. I'm willing to say that the clip trick will likely help you.I f the clip trick does not work, contact me privately and I'll go into step by step detail about troubleshooting in detail. Doing it in this order attempts to troubleshoot without having to open the battery compartment until you have to.

Had constant problems with this on our oceanic's... Fixed the problem several years ago by 1) changing the batteries myself and 2) only using panasonic or sony batteries which seem to handle the initial high power draw at startup...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom