Aeris Atmos 2 computer interface DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've been looking around the net to find a way to make a computer interface to my Aeris Atmos 2 dive computer, but did not find any information.

There's a lot of info on Suunto computers and Aladin...

Heard some rumors that Aeris Atmos 2 is identical to Oceanic Versa Pro, but didn't find any DIY project for this computer either.

Has anyone some info to help making such an interface? Just some ideas of the protocol used and the pinout for the interface would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Trond

Norwegian Diver:
I've been looking around the net to find a way to make a computer interface to my Aeris Atmos 2 dive computer, but did not find any information.

There's a lot of info on Suunto computers and Aladin...

Heard some rumors that Aeris Atmos 2 is identical to Oceanic Versa Pro, but didn't find any DIY project for this computer either.

Has anyone some info to help making such an interface? Just some ideas of the protocol used and the pinout for the interface would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Trond

THIS MAY SOUND WEIRD BUT. when i was looking for my interface cable i called aeris. i thinkk it was them and i asked where i could get a replacement for mine without haveing to pay the 100.00 for the software and all. he told me to try office depot. and that it was a common cable. i have ethe aeris 500ai. if you want pin out info for mine i will be dglad to help.

regards

good luck

kws

Norwegian Diver:

Trond

I bit the bullet some time back and bought the cable. I had suspected that the bulge in this cable contained some significant innards which couldn't be easily duplicated, or someone else would have come up with it already. Turns out that I was right, as the attached picture attests. It seems that the Pelagic computers require the cable to have more of the 'smarts' required to connect to a PC as opposed to the Suunto's where a good amount of the 'smarts' reside on the dive computer itself. There does not appear to be any simple pinout for this cable. I was able to get my LDS to come down a bit as I had recently purchased my VT Pro through him - it never hurts to ask.

I can't speak regarding the older computers, but I've yet to see one that has a simple COM port that could be used by anything at office depot. I would imagine that the rep you talked to either didn't understand (and thought you needed a serial cable or something), or was sending you on an impossible mission after which you'd plunk down the cash for the cable.

My cable is USB, since I'd rather have that than serial, but I did have a look inside one of the serial cables as well, and there is one less PLCC (probably a serial->USB converter chip). I do not have a picture of the serial cable.

PurduEE:
I bit the bullet some time back and bought the cable. I had suspected that the bulge in this cable contained some significant innards which couldn't be easily duplicated, or someone else would have come up with it already. Turns out that I was right, as the attached picture attests. It seems that the Pelagic computers require the cable to have more of the 'smarts' required to connect to a PC as opposed to the Suunto's where a good amount of the 'smarts' reside on the dive computer itself. There does not appear to be any simple pinout for this cable. I was able to get my LDS to come down a bit as I had recently purchased my VT Pro through him - it never hurts to ask.

I can't speak regarding the older computers, but I've yet to see one that has a simple COM port that could be used by anything at office depot. I would imagine that the rep you talked to either didn't understand (and thought you needed a serial cable or something), or was sending you on an impossible mission after which you'd plunk down the cash for the cable.

My cable is USB, since I'd rather have that than serial, but I did have a look inside one of the serial cables as well, and there is one less PLCC (probably a serial->USB converter chip). I do not have a picture of the serial cable.

i just took mine apart and you are right there are inerds. doesnt mean that it is not standard in some way but i doubt (now) it is anything that could be purchased at office depot. either way i bought the software and cable for the 100 bucks also. so my bag thtas what i get for passing roumers.

KWS

I took apart a serial one for Pro Plus 2 too see what's inside. There's a RS-232 transceiver, and a PIC chip. And there's the problem. The PIC is a one time programable chip. So Pelagic has programed the chip with some code that translates the serial communications to whatever communications protocol that the dive computer uses. Without a logic analyzer and a whole lotta time and effort-there's no way to know what that protocol is.

colm

colm:
I took apart a serial one for Pro Plus 2 too see what's inside. There's a RS-232 transceiver, and a PIC chip. And there's the problem. The PIC is a one time programable chip. So Pelagic has programed the chip with some code that translates the serial communications to whatever communications protocol that the dive computer uses. Without a logic analyzer and a whole lotta time and effort-there's no way to know what that protocol is.

colm

thats makes sense. requires a hardware and software combination to use it. good revenue protection scheme. thanks for hte info.

Now for the big question...

Where in the world can I get the software and interface for the 500AI?

The dive computer is a little older, but mine works great. I now want to download my dive profiles. The problem is I cannot find software and an interface for it anyplace that I've looked.

Do any of you know where I can get the download kit for the 500AI?
Thank you,

Randy

KWS:
thats makes sense. requires a hardware and software combination to use it. good revenue protection scheme. thanks for hte info.

Randy43086:
Now for the big question...

Where in the world can I get the software and interface for the 500AI?

The dive computer is a little older, but mine works great. I now want to download my dive profiles. The problem is I cannot find software and an interface for it anyplace that I've looked.

Do any of you know where I can get the download kit for the 500AI?
Thank you,

Randy

I've got 5 sets of the 500AI download heading toward me. That one runs $99 while the atmos 2 download only runs $75 - but if you need one - I'll have a few left... Aeris is out of them...

Scubatoys...

Can you PM with your price/availability for the Aeris Atmos II. I purchased one of these and forgot to include the cable with my purchase. I have the software, but need the darn cable.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom