Aeris Accel with Seawing Nova bungee straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buddhasummer, what did you end up thinking of the Accels? Thinking of getting a pair because of the small size/weight, but curious about:

1. How well they do in current with standard scissor kicking?
2. How manueverable they are for frog/helicopter/back kicking (I do a lot of photography, so mainly use these styles)
3. Are they positively buoyant? Do your feet end up floaty?
4. Can they be worn without boots? (just neoprene socks?)

If anyone has other recommendations for light/small/wearable without boots but still manueverable (in the jet fin sense) I'd love to hear them.

Scissor kick I cannot say as I predominantly frog kick, which they do well.
I found them to be very maneuverable.
Just slightly positive.
They would be very uncomfortable without boots.

I replaced the the silicone strap with some Seawing Nova bungee straps, as they are bungee and not metal springs they did not make a big difference to overall weight.

They are my new go yo travel fin.

If you want a small light travel fin that can be worn without boots look at the Aqualung Hotshot.

1. They handle reasonable current fine. A fin does not know it is in current or not. They are a moderately fast fin therefore they can handle current decently as long as you do not have unreasonable expectations. I would not agree that scissor kicking is "standard."

2.They are extremely maneuverable and perform all kicks very well. I was able to maneuver with my camera in typical Cozumel current without any need for hands.

3. I would say they are neutral to slightly negative.

4. I would say you will need boots. The pocket is clearly intended for a thin boot. Socks may do . My boots are very thing and have a very minimal sole but they do have a sole.

Considering the size of these fins they are very adequate SCUBA fins. Two thirds or less the weight of Jets and 80% of the size and 80% of the thrust.

I like mine, a very good travel fin and an adequate all around single tank fin. Well made, good quality. Do not bother with spring straps, it will defeat part of their purpose, weight reduction, and the Accel straps are in my opinion, excellent as they are.

N

Thanks for the info, Nemrod! Which boots do you use with them? (In the effort to reduce weight--so I can bring more camera gear, of course-- I'm looking at the fins+boots as an integrated system. I figured ditching the boots could save significant weight, so I was looking for a travel fin that can be used without)

P.S. Underwater Photography Guide has been very helpful in developing my photography! Thank you for putting it together.

---------- Post added December 15th, 2013 at 02:30 AM ----------

Scissor kick I cannot say as I predominantly frog kick, which they do well.

If you want a small light travel fin that can be worn without boots look at the Aqualung Hotshot.

The Hotshots look good in terms of size/weight, but I seem to recall that they might not be so great for frog kicking/back kicking, which is what got me looking at the Accel's as an alternative. If you've had personal experience with the Hotshots, can you comment on their manoeuvrability?

Thanks for the info, Nemrod! Which boots do you use with them? (In the effort to reduce weight--so I can bring more camera gear, of course-- I'm looking at the fins+boots as an integrated system. I figured ditching the boots could save significant weight, so I was looking for a travel fin that can be used without)

P.S. Underwater Photography Guide has been very helpful in developing my photography! Thank you for putting it together.

---------- Post added December 15th, 2013 at 02:30 AM ----------

The Hotshots look good in terms of size/weight, but I seem to recall that they might not be so great for frog kicking/back kicking, which is what got me looking at the Accel's as an alternative. If you've had personal experience with the Hotshots, can you comment on their manoeuvrability?

They are just cheap boots I got somewhere, just a thin sole, not heavy at all, had them a while and nearly worn out. As to the fins, I recommend using the supplied strap. If you put a heavier strap on the fin you might as well go to a different fin. The deck hands in Coz loved the straps and so do I. Very easy and secure.

And--IMPORTANT-- I do not know how I keep gutting credit for the photography site. It was not my doing. I was a moderator on that site's but it is not mine. I think I contributed some photos on the S90/FIX system. But, please, the credit is not mine. Yes, it is a nice website. I was asked to put the link in my sig because I used to post a lot in the Canon forum. I also have become something of a reluctant Inon strobe (sorta) expert. But only because I actually read manuals and then test the settings :wink:. Not rocket science.

I think you will like the Accels as long as you have no unreasonable expectations of a fin barely 21 inches long. It does not alter the laws of physics but it is a darn good little fin. This fin reminds me, and this will do you no good, of the old Voit Viking A66 model fin. Except it is lighter and open heel, but the way it kicks and acts in the water. It also feels a lot like the Large size Jet. I use an XL Jet which has the longer blade.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom