AED for live-aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveTheGalapagos

Contributor
Reaction score
We are buying supplies for a new live-aboard and my question is exclusively about defibrillators. Lots of options out there and not much info here for some time. So I'm wondering if any of you have an opinion about what the best AED would be for a live-aboard that regularly carries 16 divers and trained crew, but no medical staff.

Philips is the only brand I am familiar with, but Zoll reputation seems pretty good. So...

1. Philips Heartstart FR2+ ...w/ECG or without ECG? Is a discontinued model and apparently the FR3 is not out yet.

2. Zoll AED Plus.

Any opinions?

I have the FR2+ without ECG. Buy it with the rechargable battery and charger. It will tell you when the battery is low, but it takes some time to get a new one, especially in Ecuador. You won't need the ECG unless you can hook it to a telephone, and the emergency room has the ability to receive the info.

Part of a suggestion from this site:
AUTOMATIC EXTERNAL DEFIBRILLATORS (AEDS)
AEDs used in and around swimming pools, beaches, waterparks, etc. will be exposed to elements not typically found in office buildings and other locations. Before purchasing an AED for use within the Aquatics environment, ask the manufacturer whether the device has undergone a drop test and splash test, and compare the results of these tests with other AED manufacturers.
And they go on and talk a bit about test standards and such.

BRAVO for you guys making diving safer. I posted excerpts from DAN's 1997 Near-Drowning Workshop; the dive industry knew back then that recovery if pulseless after drowning, despite “citizen CPR,” is very poor.

DAN's website says:
For every minute a heart experiences VF, the chance of survival drops by 7 to 10 percent - even with CPR.

AED adoption in the dive industry has lagged. Isn't it about time that the "standard of care," not just for boats, but EVERYWHERE there's a dive class, should have an AED on hand? So, THANK YOU for making people aware.

Isn't it about time to integrate AEDs into all DM curriculum?

I have the FR2+ without ECG. Buy it with the rechargable battery and charger. It will tell you when the battery is low, but it takes some time to get a new one, especially in Ecuador. You won't need the ECG unless you can hook it to a telephone, and the emergency room has the ability to receive the info.

Not entirely true. If you belive in the adage "prepare for the worst and hope for the best" then get one that displays an ECG. It's entirely possible that you might have someone aboard who can read it. An AED is useful in some types of arrest. An ECG, if there is someone aboard who can read it, is useful in far more cases.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom