Advise on solution for near sight diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Itay

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,
I have a real problem which I don't know how to solve..
Basically, I am near-sighted - so I need optical glasses in order to see clear from far. The problem is that to read a book (or for that matter, to see my dive computer/watch) I need to take off my glasses. I can read very clearly without any glasses. The problem is obviously underwater - I have an optical mask which allow me to see clear far away, but when I need to read my DC, I am in trouble. Is there any solution for this problem? I am thinking to mount a magnifying glass on my DC - just desperately need a solution here... I don't think a multi-focal will help here since I don't need a reading lense...
Thanks in advance!
Itay

My initial Seavision “prescription” mask had a normal primary lense with gage reader capability ground into the inner corners. I could look straight ahead and see just fine, and if I wanted to read my gages I looked through the readers.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Could you please share a link for this setup. My search just found prescription lenses...

Could you please share a link for this setup. My search just found prescription lenses...

You need plano for close up vision and your prescription will be ground into the upper half. Try www.prescriptiondivemasks.com or www.seavisionusa.com

SV is cheaper and will include a mask. PDM will require that you send them your mask or buy one on their site. Both will produce good results.

בהצלחה

How It's Made | SeaVision

Doing this from my iPhone, but if that link doesn’t work, it is their Guage Reader +2.00 lense (under the Services tab).

Hi,
I have a real problem which I don't know how to solve..
Basically, I am near-sighted - so I need optical glasses in order to see clear from far. The problem is that to read a book (or for that matter, to see my dive computer/watch) I need to take off my glasses. I can read very clearly without any glasses. The problem is obviously underwater - I have an optical mask which allow me to see clear far away, but when I need to read my DC, I am in trouble. Is there any solution for this problem? I am thinking to mount a magnifying glass on my DC - just desperately need a solution here... I don't think a multi-focal will help here since I don't need a reading lense...
Thanks in advance!
Itay

I don't know if you're open to contact lenses, but they might be a good solution over prescription lenses in your mask. A little over a year ago I switched to Bausch + Lomb ULTRA for Presbyopia. These have reading glasses "built in" and I've been extremely happy with them. They aren't a bifocal or trifocal lens and aren't weighted, so you don't have to get used to looking in a specific spot or the lens moving around. (I don't think I'd like those types of lenses.) Somehow the reader is just built right into the lens. I'm very nearsighted and these have helped me immensely with being able to see close while still having my far vision corrected.

How It's Made | SeaVision

Doing this from my iPhone, but if that link doesn’t work, it is their Guage Reader +2.00 lense (under the Services tab).

Why do you think he needs a +2 reader? His close-up vision does not require lenses. He needs long distance lenses in the top half with plano beneath.

Why do you think he needs a +2 reader? His close-up vision does not require lenses. He needs long distance lenses in the top half with plano beneath.

My mistake. When I read it, this is all the stuck in my mind: "but when I need to read my DC, I am in trouble."

I apologize to you and the OP.

Mono vision contacts is also an option, one lens is for far and one for close. Use the close lens in the non dominate eye. The brain quickly adjusts to the two different lens and you don't notice it. I did it for years not just for diving.

I just wear one contact lens with a normal mask. The brain is an amazing thing to make sense of it all.

I have considered stick-on magnifiers, but my distance vision isn't noticeably improved by wearing both contacts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom