Advise on first Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't that a bit too much for day diving? (just asking, just comparing because it has 900 lm)

I dive in lower viz water. Can be a bit dark. Has worked fine for me. Just suggested what has worked well for me.

Isn't that a bit too much for day diving? (just asking, just comparing because it has 900 lm)
You need a brighter light in the daytime, mainly because your eyes are not dark-adapted.
Note that for a light of equivalent power output, the light with a narrower beam will have higher lumens...because the light is compressed into a smaller spot.
Comparing lumens only is not helpful unless you include beam angle.
For looking under ledges, a bright light with a narrow beam (~15 deg or less) is best....you may not even see a wide beam.
At night, for signaling, a narrow beam is best. Some like a wide beam so they can see more without moving the light around. Trade-offs!
If you want disposable batteries, 3xAAA is convenient. For rechargeable, 1x18650 is convenient. Many lights can use both battery types.
Beware any "dive light" costing less than $20-30 directly from China, as seen on eBay or AliExpress or Amazon.
Reputable brands are BigBlue, OrcaTorch, Xtar, and a few others.

Many thanks for your detailed insight.
You need a brighter light in the daytime, mainly because your eyes are not dark-adapted.
Note that for a light of equivalent power output, the light with a narrower beam will have higher lumens...because the light is compressed into a smaller spot.
Comparing lumens only is not helpful unless you include beam angle.
For looking under ledges, a bright light with a narrow beam (~15 deg or less) is best....you may not even see a wide beam.
At night, for signaling, a narrow beam is best. Some like a wide beam so they can see more without moving the light around. Trade-offs!
If you want disposable batteries, 3xAAA is convenient. For rechargeable, 1x18650 is convenient. Many lights can use both battery types.
Beware any "dive light" costing less than $20-30 directly from China, as seen on eBay or AliExpress or Amazon.
Reputable brands are BigBlue, OrcaTorch, Xtar, and a few others.

So if we see the Seac T5 torch, with 9º beam and 300 lm, what do you think about that for the daytime?

Many thanks for your detailed insight.

So if we see the Seac T5 torch, with 9º beam and 300 lm, what do you think about that for the daytime?
9 deg is fine, 300 lm is really minimal in the daytime, but tolerable. I expect that 300 is for use with 3xAAA batteries. The picture in your links shows an 18650 as well, but I can't find any info that says a SEAC T5 uses an 18650, so the web page description may be wrong. Note the burn time is 1.5h, so you are going to go through a lot of AAA batteries. Much better to get a light that uses an 18650 and have two, one in the light, one ready for the next dive if needed.
Take a look at the XTAR D20.

I use my main light to convey messages such as OK, attention, and look over here? The brighter the better.

9 deg is fine, 300 lm is really minimal in the daytime, but tolerable. I expect that 300 is for use with 3xAAA batteries. The picture in your links shows an 18650 as well, but I can't find any info that says a SEAC T5 uses an 18650, so the web page description may be wrong. Note the burn time is 1.5h, so you are going to go through a lot of AAA batteries. Much better to get a light that uses an 18650 and have two, one in the light, one ready for the next dive if needed.
Take a look at the XTAR D20.

That XTAR seems perfect for me however it doesn't seem to be be available outside some specific markets (Asia, UK and Australia).

For the price the SEAC T5 I doubt it brings an 18650, I'm now looking for the Orcatorch 520, it brings a 18650 and it seems to be a good compromise.

OrcaTorch D520 Palm-sized Dive Light with a Mechanically Rotary Switch

EDIT: Forget that orcatorch, it seems that it needs to be turned on before entering into water, because since it has a rotationary switch, it may leak if turned on underwater.

That XTAR seems perfect for me however it doesn't seem to be be available outside some specific markets (Asia, UK and Australia).

For the price the SEAC T5 I doubt it brings an 18650, I'm now looking for the Orcatorch 520, it brings a 18650 and it seems to be a good compromise.

OrcaTorch D520 Palm-sized Dive Light with a Mechanically Rotary Switch
That's a good option. Also, the rotary switch is less likely to turn on by mistake (like in a dive bag or pocket) than the push button switch.
Just be sure to rise the light well after use so it doesn't get salt or sand under the rotating head.

That's a good option. Also, the rotary switch is less likely to turn on by mistake (like in a dive bag or pocket) than the push button switch.
Just be sure to rise the light well after use so it doesn't get salt or sand under the rotating head.

Unfortunately just read that according to the product instructions, and some divers reported problems, that it should be turned on before entering into water to avoid leakage

tovatec all around if you can find a used one. (- Google Shopping).

bright, small enough to clip off to a shoulder strap, and charges via built-in usb port on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom